Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Need some advise

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 8 Replies

I was just informed by my 6 year old that there are some older kids picking on him in the school hall ways on the way to the buses. These kids do not ride his bus and he did inform his teacher about it, but she did not believe him. I tried to talk to my husband about it and we agree that we will talk to the princepal about it, but he flipped out on me when I suggested that, only if the school would not do anything about it, we think about home schooling my son. All he wanted to do than was shout and we got in to a really big fight in front of my 6 year old, I was bullied all though school and want to protect my son but my husband was a jock and didn't get picked on as much. I want to know what to do and am I being to over protective of my child?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you need to teach him about how to protect himself first before you take him away from any potential dangerous situations.  This will help him in the long run.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Did you talk to his actual teacher to find out if they really do not believe him?  Tell him that he needs to go to principal as well and learn how to protect/defend himself.    Children need to learn these skills so they are not targeted as adults in the workforce.  I was bullied as well for a few years and at one point had a school "restraining order"against another classmate.  They had to sit on the furthest desk from me in any classes we shared.   I stood up for myself when they continued to try to pick at me.

Explain to your son that even though words or pushes can hurt, the child doing the bullying is very insecure about themselves to go after someone who is smaller in size or younger in age than they are.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all you need to talk to the teacher. Chances are she did believe him but just didn't respond the way he expected her too.

I strongly agree that you need to work on teaching your son some coping skills. He will have to deal with all kinds of unpleasant people throughout his life. What happens most of the time at school is very mild compared to what we have to deal with in the adult world. Isolating him isn't going to give him an opportunity to learn to deal with things and discover that he can control the way other people treat him more often than not. 

I was bullied when I young too. As I got older I learned to handle things better and by the time I was in high school it had stopped. But that wasn't because the other kids changed, it was because I learned to stand up for myself. If I had been taken out of school I never would have learned any of that. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

I think you need to teach him about how to protect himself first before you take him away from any potential dangerous situations.  This will help him in the long run.

family in the van   Mom of four

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2013 at 3:37 PM
I think you need to talk to the teacher before deciding if if it needs to go to the principal (who will probably ask you what the teacher said).

I agree with PPs, if you pull him out of school because of this incident, he won't learn to cope on his own and you won't be able to pull him out of every uncomfortable situation for the rest of his life. See what happens with the teacher and principal first. Taking him out of school should be a last resort. JMO.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

First of all you need to talk to the teacher. Chances are she did believe him but just didn't respond the way he expected her too.

I strongly agree that you need to work on teaching your son some coping skills. He will have to deal with all kinds of unpleasant people throughout his life. What happens most of the time at school is very mild compared to what we have to deal with in the adult world. Isolating him isn't going to give him an opportunity to learn to deal with things and discover that he can control the way other people treat him more often than not. 

I was bullied when I young too. As I got older I learned to handle things better and by the time I was in high school it had stopped. But that wasn't because the other kids changed, it was because I learned to stand up for myself. If I had been taken out of school I never would have learned any of that. 

Great advice, Max. I agree with all of it.

GUTTADABOSSLADI
by on Jan. 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

No you are not being over protected. My DF was a jock in high school and I was not, but I protected myself well, because I was the only child; only had cousins at the high school with me. I teach my kids to tell an adult and after the adult does nothing. I go to the principal and after principal does nothing. I give my child permission to do what they have to to get an older child or any child away from them. The kids at my sons school know me well right along with the school administratives. I don't play about mine.. You DH has to understand that things aren't the way they use to be and you have to do whatever it takes to protect your kids. 

Lindalou907
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Go through all the channels, let your child see that you and your husband are on his side but that of course we have to live in the real world and learn to deal with these bullies. And stop fighting in front of your kid, that's only going to confuse him and make everything worse! What do you think the reason is that they have singled him out? Can you do anything about that?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN