Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Schools serving peanut butter.

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 87 Replies

This has two parts . 

First: Do you think a school with several students who have server peanut allergies should serve peanut butter?

Second : Does your school serve peanut butter?

by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Our school does.

If its a but free school them no, they should not serve it/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  I think it really depends on the severity of the allergy. If a child is going to go in anaphylactic (sp?) shock when exposed it shouldn't be served in that child's presence.

But I happen to personally know someone with a child who has a peanut butter allergy who has eaten peanut butter several times and never had a reaction. His allergy test indicated he could have potential allergies to many things and his mother is banning all of them from his life. Do I think other kids should miss out on peanut butter because of that? No

2. It does

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:26 PM

1: It probably isn't wise to do that when there are so many other things they could serve.

2: Yes, but I don't know of any severe peanut allergies in our school.

Kmcasey9
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:28 PM
2 moms liked this

We go to a public school and PB is not served by the cafeteria. However, parents can pack it for their kids' lunches.  There is an "allergy section" in the cafeteria that has a peanut-free zone.  That said, if any students in my kids' classes have severe allergies of any kind, a sign hangs on that door (no peanuts/dairy/eggs/shellfish... whatever the allergy).  We are also asked at the start of that school year to refrain from sending in snacks for our kids that contain those allergies to keep the classroom safe for all kids.

I am torn about it because I never had those restrictions at my schools growing up (OMG how did all those students survive????), however I am sensitive to other parents needing a safe environment for their children.  No easy answer here.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Nope ours does not.   

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:31 PM

First: No I don't.

Second: No it does not.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:35 PM
5 moms liked this

As far as I know, our cafeteria doesn't serve peanutbutter.  There are at least two students that I am aware of with a severe peanut allergy (anaphylactic shock) and several more with less severe allergies to peanuts and several other food items for that matter.  Our school currently does not ban peanuts or any other food item for allergy reasons.

If the school bans peanut products, then they should also ban every other food item that a child has a severe allergy to as well.  It is only fair.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Ours does not serve it. They use Sunbutter as a replacement 

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:50 PM

our school serves it. we have 3 classrooms that are peanut free zones, but no sever allergies.. there are only 4 childres out of 500 with the allergy.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 3, 2013 at 9:55 PM
1 mom liked this

First: My son is one of those children with the severe peanut allergies (among others).  I would prefer for them NOT to serve peanuts products if possible.  I know childrne will bring it in.

Second: No

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)