Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Counting money ideas

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM
  • 15 Replies

dd started counting money this week...Just wondering if anyone has a fun/neat way to learn..thanx

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Play Monopoly Jr with her.  It is geared for younger kids, so she should be able to handle playing it.  My boys started playing it at 3, so I'd say kindergarten/first grade should be fine with it.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 2:54 PM
Give him a bunch of coins and let him "buy" his dessert, TV time, etc. Have him help you count the money when you go shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Play Monopoly Jr with her.  It is geared for younger kids, so she should be able to handle playing it.  My boys started playing it at 3, so I'd say kindergarten/first grade should be fine with it.

DD is 6 and loves to play regular monopoly with us.  Does Jr have coins involved?

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting steelcrazy:

DD is 6 and loves to play regular monopoly with us.  Does Jr have coins involved?

No, Jr is just easier for the little kids to play.  My boys are so advanced in math skills though, so we haven't played it in years.  My oldest began playing regular Monopoly at 4 or 5.

I'm not much help with this subject though, since we haven't had to deal with learning how to count money in over 6 years.

mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM
No, but it's smaller denominations: $1, $5... Etc so the kids don't have to worry about counting by hundreds.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting steelcrazy:

No, Jr is just easier for the little kids to play.  My boys are so advanced in math skills though, so we haven't played it in years.  My oldest began playing regular Monopoly at 4 or 5.

I'm not much help with this subject though, since we haven't had to deal with learning how to count money in over 6 years.

I thought about getting it for dd but since she has caught on to the grown up version I didnt see the point in getting the junior version.   We saw plastic coins and fake paper money at a few stores to help learn counting money as well as a cool piggy bank split up into 4 sections.... Spend, Invest, Donate, Deposit.  Not quite sure what a child would invest in but it is a neat idea.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I thought about getting it for dd but since she has caught on to the grown up version I didnt see the point in getting the junior version.   We saw plastic coins and fake paper money at a few stores to help learn counting money as well as a cool piggy bank split up into 4 sections.... Spend, Invest, Donate, Deposit.  Not quite sure what a child would invest in but it is a neat idea.

hmmm, she could invest in lemons and open a lemon-ade stand.  lol

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Dd's teacher gave us this game to help her practice. You roll a die and move whatever you decide to use as markers ahead. Whatever space you land on, you pay the cost of the item on that space. We used change from dh's change jar.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Thanx sooo much..Wonderful ideas

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I'm utilizing money flash cards with my 5 year old. She also has a cash register with fake money that looks real and she seems to be catching on really well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)