Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Does your childs school serve breakfast? Honestly when I found out my sons school did I found it strange. As a kid I always ate at home as does my boys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (21-30):
AA2.0
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM

DD's school offers breakfast. I always had breakfast at home as a kid, but our school also offered breakfast. A lot of kids from before care would have breakfast at school because they got there so early in the morning.

sweetmissy_05
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yes they do but my kids eat breakfast at home. They have lunch at school though.

riceybaby4ever
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM
My DS eats at school because they give it to each child for free.DS is on sleeping pills so it is nice because i dont have to fight to get him up because he can sleep in an extra hour
AA2.0
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Breakfast is served during the time between getting to school and class starting. It is an alotted time. When the class bell rings, breakfast is over.

Quoting jen113000:

So on days they eat breakfast at school do they go in earlier? Or did they just go to class alittle later on those days?

Quoting diaperstodating:

My boys eat breakfast at school most days, sometimes they eat breakfast at home.

FabMomma2BnB
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:38 PM
The school that my kids attend serves breakfast. Occasionally they eat at school, especially when they serve pancakes or breakfast burritos.

Many of the schools I attended as a kid served breakfast, I frequently ate at school...but the breakfasts are definitely different from when I attended school. They offer more choices now, but the breakfasts seemed healthier when I was younger.

They don't send a breakfast or lunch menu home at my kid's school, but they do list the breakfast and lunch menus on their website.
hersheyb
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Our school got a grant to provide free breakfast to all students (regardless of free lunch status). Unfortunately, it is crappy...usually coco puffs, trix, or some other sugary garbage :(  So I do not allow my kids to eat it.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:40 PM

Yes, the high school serves breakfast until lunch time for kids who have off periods in the morning and the elementary and middle schools serve breakfast, but you have to get there and eat before schools starts. It's for kids who have really long bus rides so they don't eat breakfast at home and kids who don't have food at home because they can get it for free if they qualify for free lunch.

lizzig
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:46 PM

i thought it was strange too but then again our elementary schools start so early. 7:40 & some of the kids get on buses before 7, so.....  when i was in elementary school we didn't start till after 8 & they didn't even offer breakfast. 

we have a population of about 740 & we serve about 180-220 every morning (i work in the cafeteria).  i'm there for breakfast so my kids eat at school every day.  they like the breakfasts & they get to socialize with their friends more.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes there are children that would go hungry without it.

cocoroo
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:55 PM

They do serve it. My children eat at home.  Breakfast is free for children that free or reduced lunch. When my kids got reduced lunch, they ate breakfast at school.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)