Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
Does your childs school serve breakfast? Honestly when I found out my sons school did I found it strange. As a kid I always ate at home as does my boys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Replies (31-40):
jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM
That is an early start! Awesome that you are there with them though!

Quoting lizzig:

i thought it was strange too but then again our elementary schools start so early. 7:40 & some of the kids get on buses before 7, so.....  when i was in elementary school we didn't start till after 8 & they didn't even offer breakfast. 

we have a population of about 740 & we serve about 180-220 every morning (i work in the cafeteria).  i'm there for breakfast so my kids eat at school every day.  they like the breakfasts & they get to socialize with their friends more.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM
Thank you for the info.

Quoting AA2.0:

Breakfast is served during the time between getting to school and class starting. It is an alotted time. When the class bell rings, breakfast is over.

Quoting jen113000:

So on days they eat breakfast at school do they go in earlier? Or did they just go to class alittle later on those days?

Quoting diaperstodating:

My boys eat breakfast at school most days, sometimes they eat breakfast at home.

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 9:18 PM

They do but we don't utilize it. They get a healthy balanced breakfast at home.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, all the schools in our district provides free breakfasts as the walk in the door.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM
They schedule the bus to come early enough that kids have time to eat breakfast. So he would be there at the same time whether or not he ate breakfast at school. We do provide a small snack before he gets on the bus, like a cereal bar.

Quoting jen113000:

So on days they eat breakfast at school do they go in earlier? Or did they just go to class alittle later on those days?

Quoting diaperstodating:

My boys eat breakfast at school most days, sometimes they eat breakfast at home.
Bella14308
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Mine like to eat at school with their friends in the morning. they go in at normal time and breakfast is during "homeroom" before attendance and the pledge etc. its built into the schedule.

Oh and our school puts the lunch/breakfast menu online and sends a copy home and prices are listed on it.
Bella14308
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Same here... my girls school starts at 740 (classes start at 8) and they get on the bus at 715.
When i was in elementary my school started at 9.

Quoting jen113000:

That is an early start! Awesome that you are there with them though!

Quoting lizzig:

i thought it was strange too but then again our elementary schools start so early. 7:40 & some of the kids get on buses before 7, so.....  when i was in elementary school we didn't start till after 8 & they didn't even offer breakfast. 

we have a population of about 740 & we serve about 180-220 every morning (i work in the cafeteria).  i'm there for breakfast so my kids eat at school every day.  they like the breakfasts & they get to socialize with their friends more.

janitablue
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:14 PM

Same here........

Quoting diaperstodating:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM
It is free at my son's school. I used to be kind of annoyed at the district because they used to only let the Title 1 schools have their breakfasts as free, and my son's elementary was one of the five (out of 50 schools) that did not have free breakfasts. But they changed it last year and allowed all schools to have free breakfasts.

The school district also provides free breakfasts and lunches to rec centers and schools in the summer to any kid that needs it, regardless of whether they qualify for free or reduced lunches.

Quoting steelcrazy:

They do, but my children have never had it.  I'm not even exactly sure what the price of breakfast is.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:22 PM

DD's bus gets to school withn 5 minutes of the first bell ringing so for us her eating at home is better.

Quoting Barabell:

They schedule the bus to come early enough that kids have time to eat breakfast. So he would be there at the same time whether or not he ate breakfast at school. We do provide a small snack before he gets on the bus, like a cereal bar.

Quoting jen113000:

Quoting diaperstodating:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)