Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son favorite subject is Math

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you know what your child favorite subject  is and have you done anything to enhance your child love for that subject?

I wish there were programs in his school that he can join that can help him learn more but also math and have fun.

by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Replies (11-17):
TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM

There are elements of every subject that my son loves. He's a voracious reader, and he loves math, science, history, art - everything. We absolutely try to further his interests at home, and the school does many things, too. We play games (I have a really neat game I got for free at a convention called Pyramath that Ds LOVES.), have tons of books and resources available, and just really try to ensure that we have an open, print-rich, information-rich, accessible environment for Ds to exist in.

At home, we have memberships to many museums (the science museums, the natural history museum, the zoo and Safari Park, and the squarium), and we participate in activities in our community, too. We also have Ds participate in camps/activities individually, too (We live in a wonderful area for this. The community center offers TONS of opportunities, and so do our local libraries.). We also do webquests with DS, and explore things online and in books related to his interests. Ds also plays soccer and participates in tae kwon do.

Ds' school also offers a lot of really neat opportunities, too. His teacher has a fantastic website devoted to exploration of interests and furthering knowledge (It's seriously incredible. Other schools use it all around the country!), and the librarian is awesome! Ds' teacher is wonderful at helping the kids really think critically and to organize their thoughts, and I am just loving how this year is turning out! Ds also gets to participate in the Garden Club (growing fruits, vegetables and other plants in the school garden, separately from the regular garden time each class has), Science Club (His school has a Mad Science Science Club available to students),  Chess Club, the school news program (they film, edit, and broadcast a weekly news program to the school), and this upcoming year, he will have the opportunity to take up an instrument or join the choir. I know there are other options, too, but there just isn't time.

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM

My DD loves math. We did a lot with her at home. By the time she was in first grade she could leave a tip at a resturant right down to the penny. She is now a freshman in high school and when she goes out with friends they challenge her and see who can get the answer faster, her or everyone else using their phones. She always wins. It's so funny. I would use math at home in everything you do, cooking, cleaning, have him use measurements to build a bird house. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:06 AM
E1 loves art and e2 loves recess. Lok
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
saltlifemama
by on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Ds1 loves reading and ds2 loves the end of the day.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 6, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Right now my son hates math. But he's only in preK so I doubt this is a life long trend. He just has no interest in numbers, or adding. He's finally interested in counting and wants to count to 100 when we're in the car. 

He loves reading and language related activities. He's always trying to write words. He'll string letters together and ask me what he wrote. The times he comes up with real words he's so impressed with himself. LOL

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My dd's is a tie between Math and Art as her favorite subjects. She is challenged at home with the math because she is ahead of her class at school. They tested her to move her up in math but she bombed it so that she could stay with her friends. We want to have her grade skipped completely but we fear she will do the same thing even though her teacher also agrees that it needs to happen. We are on the fence now and are playing wait and see. 

Art wise, she paints, sculpts, draws, illustrates her short stories and has craft kits that she loves to do. 

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Dd just loves school in general, so we're doing our best to keep that inthusiasm going.

Ds2's fave is math, but he also really like US history, so I think he's really enjoying their social studies unit on the history of our town. We let him watch History Channel and have gotten him several Magic Tree House books. For his b-day on Tues, my parents have gotten him some of the "I Survived" books; He already has the ones about 9/11 and the Titanic and really likes them. 

Ds1's fave is orchestra, but whines about having to practice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN