Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

first.time bloodwork for my 8 year old..help!!

Posted by   + Show Post
So my 8 year old daughter has to get her thyroid checked. The doctor said her thyroid looks swollen! I have the.same.issue but it was always fine. I'm really nervous about taking her. Does anyone have amy tips on making it as pleasant as possible. Please!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Replies (11-17):
snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I was a really good phlebotomist, they used to joke that I could get blood out of a rock, but even some times I missed. You can't switch if she misses once. Some times it takes that miss to understand how the person's veins work. (like if they roll or blow out, ect)
If It's more then 3 times, someone else needs to try. That was our policy.

OP- make sure she drinks lot of water and maybe even let her have some pop. Caffeine makes them pop out. If she has little veins, make them put a hot pack on before hand. The heat brings those suckers out. LOL.
If she wants to watch let her. If not hold her hand and talk to her. I used to do it for a living and I hate having my blood drawn. LOL

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Make sure the phlebotomist is REALLY good. If she can't do it right on the first try, tell them you want someone else to do it. My poor daughter had someone stick her 3 times. She bruised so bad. You daughter will hardly feel it if the plebolomist does it right.

Also, make sure your daughter is fully hydrated. It is easier to do a blood draw on a hydrated person than a dehydrated person. Also, have her look away, close her eyes whatever to distract her so she doesn't watch the needle going in her arm. If distracted she will hardly take notice.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My daughter's had to have bloodwork several times as well.  It's normal to be nervous/scared.  I'd let your child know exactly what's going to happen and then when it's time do what you can to distract him.  It's hard but try to be as calm and reassuring as you can while it's happening, otherwise you just make it worse

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Point is... don't be afraid to ask someone else to try. Some phlebotomists or nurses who draw blood are really good.... some really aren't.  Will they feel put off, angry, insulted, or hurt by the request... maybe. But, this is your child. Watch how it is going and if you are not liking what you are seeing or the manner in which the procedure is being approached, speak up.

I had one nurse go through my veins 3 times on one arm, and then missed twice on my other arm. Then another nurse came in and finished her job on the first try, easily. I bruised so badly. The next time she came in to draw my blood, I said "Oh no. Not you again. Please get someone else." She was miffed, but I wasn't about to let her near me with a needle. That experience left a lasting impression as an adult. I would NEVER want an 8 yr old to go through something like that.

Quoting snowangel1979:

I was a really good phlebotomist, they used to joke that I could get blood out of a rock, but even some times I missed. You can't switch if she misses once. Some times it takes that miss to understand how the person's veins work. (like if they roll or blow out, ect)
If It's more then 3 times, someone else needs to try. That was our policy.

OP- make sure she drinks lot of water and maybe even let her have some pop. Caffeine makes them pop out. If she has little veins, make them put a hot pack on before hand. The heat brings those suckers out. LOL.
If she wants to watch let her. If not hold her hand and talk to her. I used to do it for a living and I hate having my blood drawn. LOL

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Make sure the phlebotomist is REALLY good. If she can't do it right on the first try, tell them you want someone else to do it. My poor daughter had someone stick her 3 times. She bruised so bad. You daughter will hardly feel it if the plebolomist does it right.

Also, make sure your daughter is fully hydrated. It is easier to do a blood draw on a hydrated person than a dehydrated person. Also, have her look away, close her eyes whatever to distract her so she doesn't watch the needle going in her arm. If distracted she will hardly take notice.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Hey,

My best suggestion is to call the venue ahead of time and ask if they have omeone that specializes on children.  You need someone patient and gentle :).

The best you can do is act it out. They make those doctor kits and they usually have a "shot" in theer :).  

Its not that bad.  Just make sure she kowns what to expect and that its super important for her to sit still.  My son is 5 and did great the last time, so I can't imagine you'd have that hard of a time :).

Good luck!

Lovinglife818
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Hey ladies! I took ny daughter Rilee this morning for her blood work and she did...AMAZING!! I'm so proud of her! She said ow! N jumped alil when she did it but was fine then! Thank god! Thank you for all your help and support! I appreciate it!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 19, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I have children with food allergies, and they have to get bloodwork each year.  My oldest son is 5 and here's waht I've done.

1. Tell him that the appointment is for a poke.  I usually do not use the person at my son's pediatirican because the room is cramped, the chair is cramped and the lady just isnt that gentle.  So, I ask for a script and take it to our nearest Quest Diagnostics.  I call ahead of time and let them know I need someone that's patient and specializes in children.  They usually have someone on staff and will tell you when that person will be there.  They will also tell you when its not so busy so you don't have to wait (the faster you can get in and out the better).

I told him that he has to get a poke to see where his allergies are.  That will tell us if he can eat more foods or not.  It will hurt a little if he sits still, but it will hurt a lot if he jerks around.  I give him the choice of where he sits, who is with him etc.  Actually we talk about this ahead of time so there's no figuring that out while we are there.  He usually asks to be in my lap.  I tell him he's more than welcome to cry and I won't think he's bad or a baby for it.  But he has to sit still.  And if he gets it done and they get all the blood they need, we go get a special treat of his choice :).  Treast range from balloons (mylar ones LOL) or icecream or something.

Good luck :)

lageise
by on Jan. 20, 2013 at 9:10 PM

You can ask the Dr. for a prescription numbing cream.  You apply it a short time before the blood draw and they don't feel anything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN