Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Separation Anxiety/School Refusal

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hello, 

Ok I'm new to all of this and just in need of some advice!  My 6 year old daughter is in kindergarten and absolutley loved school at the begining of the year, just until the week of Christmas break! thats when tummy aches started and puking started trying to get out of school, my husband and I took her to the dr.to rule out any tummy issues and there were none!  We also met with her teacher who is wonderful by the way!! and she said to keep sending her and she will get over all of this, its just hard to watch her puke every  morning and go through these fits because when she is in school and in her routine there she does fine?  Just don't know what else to do at this point! I guess I'm just wanting to know I'm doing the right thing by keep on sending her?

*Kristina

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Is there something going on at school?  A child picking on her?  How about a change at home recently?  A new baby?  Death in the family?  

Her reaction seems a bit extreme for there to be nothing going on at school and no changes in her life.  I'd sit down and try to talk to her about what is going on.  However, the teacher is right, you need to keep sending her to school.  Letting her stay home, won't help the situation any.

LilliesValley
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, keep sending her, but something is going on at school. My daughter is also in Kindergarten and the few times she's not wanted to go were because someone was bothering her or that sort of thing. I'd ask her teacher to keep an eye out and really try to talk to your daughter. I wouldn't say is anyone bothering you, but just ask her about her day.

We play a game at night called high/low. I ask her what her high point of the day was, low point, something she was grateful for and something she is looking forward to. If I just ask her what she did at school she's always like, I can't remember. ERrrrrrrr!!! So this game helps and if I sense something is wrong (you know that mommy sense, kind of like spidey sense LOL!) then I ask more about it.

Also, did your daughter go to preschool or daycare before school started? She may just be lonely for you and want to be with you like in the old days before she went to school. Keep sending her, that's what she needs to do!

klgew065
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:07 AM

I'm almost certain that there is nothing going on at school! Nothing has changed at home Im a SAHM and always have been, no one has died or anything when we talk about school her response is always the same, its Im scared because I'll miss you! =/

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Since your sure nothing is happening at school then I think all you can do is keep sending her. You might also consider letting her met with the school conselor. It might help her talk out why her opinion changed so drastically. They have a way of picking up on things that seem normal or nothing to us. 

iansusie
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Did she hear about the shooting at sandy Hooks? It seems like it was right after that incident she started doing this from your post.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Hey mama,

I would talk to her as soon as you can about it.  Why is she suddenly not wanting ot go to school and going through these lengths to not do so.  something happened, and you need to figure out what it was :( :(.

Good luck

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Talk to the school psychologist. He/she will have ideas on how to help her separate from you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN