Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Switching classes

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
  • 14 Replies
Hello. I am considering switching my son to another class in his school. He is very afraid of his teacher. Many incident have showed me that she is very unfair, yells a lot to him, doesn't want to listen to him when she thinks he did something wrong. He has gone from a A student to a C this year. He is afraid to ask her anything because he thinks he is going to get in trouble. And many other things that are too long to write. What are my rights as a parent when it comes to requesting changing my son to another class. Thanks.
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Your rights vary by state and by school.  I would start by requesting a meeting with the teacher and principal and go from there.

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

My thoughts too...At dd's school kids can be switched

Quoting steelcrazy:

Your rights vary by state and by school.  I would start by requesting a meeting with the teacher and principal and go from there.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM

You have every right to request a room change.  Especially if there is a personality clash.  You child should not feel persecuted.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I would first speak with the teacher if you can.  Get to the bottom of why she's acting this way.  If that doesn't go anywhere, then speak to the principal.  i dont know what rights you have at this point since so much time has past, but I would definitely do something :/.

Good luck!

superwoman8977
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:57 PM

they dont allow that at my son's school and in my 14 yr olds class they wouldnt let him change either.  Good luck.

story0702
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 5:40 PM

this is what I would do.

Quoting steelcrazy:

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 7, 2013 at 6:17 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

family in the van   Mom of four

caviva14
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM
We have had 4 meetings. Two which included the principal. Yesterday, after i posted this, the principal called me and agreed to switch him to the other class. I had a phone conversation with the new teacher( she called me, the other teacher never did that). And was very pleased with her teaching philosophy. she seems very nurturing. I think my son would fit there. We will see. Thanks everybody.
corrinacs
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:26 PM

That's fantastic.  I am glad that at least the school is working well wit hyou :).  I hope the change goes smoothly!  Glad you looked into it instead of waiting till the end of the year :/.

Quoting caviva14:

We have had 4 meetings. Two which included the principal. Yesterday, after i posted this, the principal called me and agreed to switch him to the other class. I had a phone conversation with the new teacher( she called me, the other teacher never did that). And was very pleased with her teaching philosophy. she seems very nurturing. I think my son would fit there. We will see. Thanks everybody.

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Just talk to the principal it was easy to switch M last year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)