Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you do if this came home in your kids' homework? UPDATE with rest of paper. ANOTHER UPDATE, in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend's son brought this home as his homework today:

I am completely shocked!  Her son is 5 and this is the garbage they are teaching.  Disgusting.  I told her, my ds wouldn't do it, and I'd be having a nice little chat with the teacher.  Your thoughts?

For those of you who were wondering about the rest of the paper, I asked my friend and she said the assignment was to match the right picture with the word.  Some of the other words were man, pot, cat, cow, fish, etc.  I still think it should have at least been an animal that was "fat" or something, not a little girl.  It just seems offensive to me, and not how I would want my kids to think of someone.

For everyone who has misunderstood and thinks I'm upset by the actual word "fat", I'll just respond to you all at once here...the word is not the issue.  The big deal is the fact that they labeled a little girl fat.  Factfully she is...but this opens the door for 5 year olds to think it's ok for them to call anyone who isn't skinny "fat" and that is NOT ok.  They should have used a cat, like when my DD (who is almost 8) was in Kinder, they read a book about a fat cat who sat on the mat...not a fat girl!  My DD saw this pic and she told me, "that is mean, Mommy, you are not suppose to call people fat.  Why didn't use the fat cat?"  My 7.5 year old gets it!  Fat is a word and used to describe things, but should not be used to describe a person.  Plain and simple.  Society has turned it into a mean and degrading term, wether it is said innocently by a child, it can still be hurtful to label a person as fat...and for those of you who say it's the parents' job to teach them not to call people fat, unfortunately not all children have the benefit of a parent who takes the time to care.  It's those kids who may look at little Suzie in the class (who is bigger than everyone else) and now associate little Suzie with the fat girl in their homework, and poor little Suzie is now the class fat girl!  And don't try to say it's not a big deal, if your DD happened to be little Suzie and came home upset because the kids in her class compared her to the fat girl on their worksheet, then you'd be singing a different tune.  The word fat, being fat, teaching kids what fat is, is not the issue...labeling a child as fat is. 

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (21-30):
TTC2Long
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM
6 moms liked this
First of all, it will be a looong time before my kids know what a joint is, so I'm not worried about that. I'm not so sure why YOU keep mentioning it, but whatever. Second, "fat" in itself is not a bad word, but it's not a word that should be applied toward people. That's just common sense, kindness and courtesy that SHOULD be taught to kids. A fat scoop of peanut butter into the cookie dough bowl? Yes. Hey look at that fat girl? No.

Quoting steelcrazy:

And you think that your child won't realize that if that caterpillar is fat, if that joint is fat, and if that crayon is fat - well then mommy is fat too?  Use it as a teachable moment instead of making "fat" a "bad" word.

Quoting TTC2Long:

A fat caterpillar would have been more appropriate.

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TTC2Long
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM
Hey! I'm good - 7 months along already with boy #2! Starting to nest, I start my Bradley classes this week... So exciting! You? :)

Quoting corrinacs:

This is what I agree with too.  Not pictures of girls :).

BTW, hey you, how are you doing?

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting steelcrazy:

First off I am very curious what the other words are on the page.  Secondly, I am fairly confident that they are learning about descriptive words, and like it or not fat is a descriptive word that he will need to know in his life.  Would you prefer that they have a picture of a big fat joint for him to circle?

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Great :).  My Leo (the one we were trying so hard for) is now 1!!!!!!   Where the heck did the time go?

He's got the most food allergies out of any kid though :/.  And he's the size of a 6 month old.  But he's doing great milestone wise.

After this, you want anymore? or are you done?  DH and I talked about it and said if we wanted more, we'd adopt.  We haven't started any serious talks yet though :).

Quoting TTC2Long:

Hey! I'm good - 7 months along already with boy #2! Starting to nest, I start my Bradley classes this week... So exciting! You? :)

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting steelcrazy:

nickellmomof2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:30 PM
11 moms liked this

Ok what about this scenerio:

What about that 5 yr old girl that is overweight and in that class...not only do the bullies make fun of that kid for being different (and I'm sure the word "fat" has already come into play there)  now she get a homework assignment with a picture of a little girl that is bigger than the other (like her) with the word "fat" written above them...

you tell me that wouldn't be hurtful...who cares if the grown-up knows not to be offended, but yes, there are bullies that young and there are overweight children that young who could be very hurt by something like this.

chotovec82
by Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM
7 moms liked this

I don't really see the issue. There are fat people and there are skinny people. If fat people take offense to the word, "fat" than they should consider losing the weight. It's like using black or brown to describe another peron; what's wrong with it? If the person is black or brown and the kid is not making fun of skin color the person. Fat, black (in terms of people), white, big, small, tall, short, etc... are all descriptive words. People need to get over it. Seriously we have become a society of whiney people.

mstricey
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this
I would laugh. I'm fat and it doesn't bother me. The chick in the picture is fat and the other one is anorexic.
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
2 moms liked this

What the heck? There are so many other images they could use to describe the word fat that don't involve pictures of obese and skeletal children.

k_hall1784
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, it looks as if they are learning descriptions. An animal could have been used, but I believe that the point is better understood this way. They aren't saying anything negative about being fat, so I don't see the issue.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:34 PM

Exactly, the kids already know what the word means and the little girl obviously knows that she is fat.  Even if they had a fat cat and a thin cat, do you think that the little girl isn't going to think that the fat cat is fat like her?  Kids aren't that stupid.  So IMO, if the girls is getting upset over the word fat, she would get upset over the word no matter what is in the picture.

BTW - both of my boys have gone through obese phases, one for my oldest lasted 2 years.  So I am not coming at this from the prespective of the mom of just thin kids.

Quoting nickellmomof2:

Ok what about this scenerio:

What about that 5 yr old girl that is overweight and in that class...not only do the bullies make fun of that kid for being different (and I'm sure the word "fat" has already come into play there)  now she get a homework assignment with a picture of a little girl that is bigger than the other (like her) with the word "fat" written above them...

you tell me that wouldn't be hurtful...who cares if the grown-up knows not to be offended, but yes, there are bullies that young and there are overweight children that young who could be very hurt by something like this.

TTC2Long
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Wow. 1 already?? Food allergies suck. I hope he outgrows them soon. I know some mamas with several kids with allergies and intollerances and even autism and ADHD so between them all there is SO little they can eat. I get overwhelmed just thinking about it!

Idk if we're done. In about 2ish years we'll see where we are financially and make the call. I REALLY want a girl. So does dh. We're psyched about a brother for Juju, though, and I saved everything, so all we really NEED is a car seat!

Adoption is an amazing thing. Expensive, but amazing! How long do you think you'd want to wait and see? Do you want babies closer together? For me 2 1/2-3 years apart seems perfect. We'll see! Lol

Quoting corrinacs:

Great :).  My Leo (the one we were trying so hard for) is now 1!!!!!!   Where the heck did the time go?

He's got the most food allergies out of any kid though :/.  And he's the size of a 6 month old.  But he's doing great milestone wise.

After this, you want anymore? or are you done?  DH and I talked about it and said if we wanted more, we'd adopt.  We haven't started any serious talks yet though :).

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting corrinacs:

Quoting TTC2Long:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN