Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What would you do if this came home in your kids' homework? UPDATE with rest of paper. ANOTHER UPDATE, in red.

Posted by   + Show Post

My friend's son brought this home as his homework today:

I am completely shocked!  Her son is 5 and this is the garbage they are teaching.  Disgusting.  I told her, my ds wouldn't do it, and I'd be having a nice little chat with the teacher.  Your thoughts?

For those of you who were wondering about the rest of the paper, I asked my friend and she said the assignment was to match the right picture with the word.  Some of the other words were man, pot, cat, cow, fish, etc.  I still think it should have at least been an animal that was "fat" or something, not a little girl.  It just seems offensive to me, and not how I would want my kids to think of someone.

For everyone who has misunderstood and thinks I'm upset by the actual word "fat", I'll just respond to you all at once here...the word is not the issue.  The big deal is the fact that they labeled a little girl fat.  Factfully she is...but this opens the door for 5 year olds to think it's ok for them to call anyone who isn't skinny "fat" and that is NOT ok.  They should have used a cat, like when my DD (who is almost 8) was in Kinder, they read a book about a fat cat who sat on the mat...not a fat girl!  My DD saw this pic and she told me, "that is mean, Mommy, you are not suppose to call people fat.  Why didn't use the fat cat?"  My 7.5 year old gets it!  Fat is a word and used to describe things, but should not be used to describe a person.  Plain and simple.  Society has turned it into a mean and degrading term, wether it is said innocently by a child, it can still be hurtful to label a person as fat...and for those of you who say it's the parents' job to teach them not to call people fat, unfortunately not all children have the benefit of a parent who takes the time to care.  It's those kids who may look at little Suzie in the class (who is bigger than everyone else) and now associate little Suzie with the fat girl in their homework, and poor little Suzie is now the class fat girl!  And don't try to say it's not a big deal, if your DD happened to be little Suzie and came home upset because the kids in her class compared her to the fat girl on their worksheet, then you'd be singing a different tune.  The word fat, being fat, teaching kids what fat is, is not the issue...labeling a child as fat is. 

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Replies (61-70):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I have no problem w/ it. Without seeing the other words, we don't know if it's teaching descriptive words or just opposites. If it's the latter, as much as some people may not like it, fat and thin are opposites that kids will learn.

This country is getting waaay too P.C. No matter what you do/say, there is the chance someone is going to be offended. Trying to avoid offending everyone is a pointless waste of time and energy b/c it can't be done.

nickellmomof2
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:04 PM
So hypothetically speaking, say your kid was "fat" and someone at school told your kid they were fat and your kid came home upset you'd simply say: it is what it is honey, you are fat"? That's my point fat is a touchy subject and shouldn't have used two little girls as an example. I could understand the fat cat story but animals don't have feelings that can be hurt like that.

Quoting Traci_Momof2:

I don't see the big deal.  I don't remember for sure but I'm guessing my kids have come home with similar-type words.  It's just learning about the descriptive word.  "Fat" is not a bad word.  It is what it is.  And if my son came home with something like that, and then asked me "Mommy, are you fat?"  I would say, "Yes, I am.  I am trying to correct that problem though because being fat isn't healthy."

I don't see what good it does to avoid the word though.  I am 5'5" and weigh 190lbs.  I am fat.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gingerprincess
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It would bother me. There are other ways to teach them the word "fat". Like someone else said, why not use an animal? Why a person? And why the way it is? The "fat" girl is simply smiling and the "thin" one is talking...what does that depict? And this could go either way, the kid could think that they are too "fat" or too "thin" because of these pictures. It would most definetely bother me, and I would speak with the teacher too, they do decide what they teach to an extent. I am recovering from anorexia and bulimia and this could cause an issue with people who are either deemed too "fat" or too "skinny".

VanillaSprinkle
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:01 PM

We read lots of books where some people are described as thin or fat. The main character in my sons favourite show is called "The Fat Controller." To be honest, it is what it is. We don't look at fat or skinny as good or bad, it's just a description. Short, tall, fat , skinny. Again, it is what it is.

SeakingPeace
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I teach my daughter to not put labels on people.

lisajo76
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Well, fat people are part of life and I know it seems insensitive, but I've been fat (and still am compared to what i should be lol) and described myself as fat without thinking that it was something horrible. It's not really a big deal. It would've been cuter if it were a fat animal but as long as you teach your child that its not the most polite word, I think he'll be ok.
antoinettegts
by New Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:10 AM
I don't see anything wrong with the picture. Then again I don't teach my children that size doesn't matter. Being overweight is extremely unhealthy. Not only that but unsightly.
Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Without reading all the replies, May I say.... Settle down.

It's a word..... It fits the picture..... Get over it.

I'm a FAT girl and I'm OK with it. If all descriptive words become offensive than we are in trouble!

maidjillian
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 7:41 AM

idk.... it's the truth.  Some people are fat.  The word 'fat' is not a slur or a putdown if you watch your tone.  It's not like it said "fatty mcfat fat."  I agree though it does seem a little insensitive and also not something I would want my kids to focus on in school (save it for gym or health class).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)