Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

To the PB&J only Moms....why just PB&J?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
  • 150 Replies

Note: this is not a backlash in anyway.

Backstory: I was at the store the other day and my son saw one of his friends from school.  My son is severely allergic to peanuts (among other foods).  His school has managed well by giving him a placemat that's "his" and that space cannot be shared.  He's also at the end of the table where less people can sit next to him.  All friends with peanut products have to sit at the other end of the table.  So far, so good, we haven't had any "accidents" that we are aware of, although he's come home covered in hives like 3-4 times :/.

So, that being said. When we saw said friend, her mom said "Is this the notorious Caden?".  Her daughter said "No, this is the peanut allergic Caden".  And then she said "I bring PB&J everyday so I can't sit next to Caden at school."

But this got me thinking.......I don't understand why just PB&J.  As a kid, I'd get bored of that real fast!  My son is allergic to (get ready for the list)............

Eggs, peanuts, treenuts, soy, legumes (beans), rice, sesame seeds, citrus fruits, coconut, shellfish and fish.

But I don't send him with the same food daily.

I don't have a lot of time (work full time, managing his allergies as well as my own and his baby brother's (all different allergies)).  He goes to school each day with something different each day of the week at least, if not more.

Just wondering what the reasoning was.  My kid would get bored if I sent him with ham and cheese everyday LOL.

by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GotSomeKids
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM

I say to each their own.  My daughter had a friend in 2nd grade who was extremely allergic to peanuts, so she decided herself (note:  the school didn't band PB, but my daughter made the choice) not to bring PB&J sandwiches.  So, for the past 3 years, she has either taken a meat and cheese sandwich or a plain cheese sandwich.  She hasn't gotten bored.  It's just what she likes.

As for my son?  He's been eating PB&J sandwiches for probably 5 years now.  He loves it!  I've asked him if he wants something different and he says no.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Thanks :).  How very sweet of your daughter.  I dont know if any children in his class are that way or not.  Of course, I'd prefer if it were PB free.  I know his classroom istelf is (they don't eat in the classroom) but not hte lunchroom.

Quoting GotSomeKids:

I say to each their own.  My daughter had a friend in 2nd grade who was extremely allergic to peanuts, so she decided herself (note:  the school didn't band PB, but my daughter made the choice) not to bring PB&J sandwiches.  So, for the past 3 years, she has either taken a meat and cheese sandwich or a plain cheese sandwich.  She hasn't gotten bored.  It's just what she likes.

As for my son?  He's been eating PB&J sandwiches for probably 5 years now.  He loves it!  I've asked him if he wants something different and he says no.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:16 PM

PB&J everyday for lunch just isn't healthy. We send a variety of things so they get a variety of nutrients, their school is also peanut free, they live. I'm sure there are other reasons, but from the ones I know who threw a fit about the school becomming peanut free, it's just something easy that they know their kids will eat without whining and they don't want to deal with actually getting them to eat other foods.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:17 PM

This is kind of how I felt.  If Caden doesn't eat his lunch, so be it.  But he does help me plan his lunches.  He just knows that he's not getting the same thing daily.  He's one of the best eaters I've ever seen LOL

Quoting LucyHarper:

PB&J everyday for lunch just isn't healthy. We send a variety of things so they get a variety of nutrients, their school is also peanut free, they live. I'm sure there are other reasons, but from the ones I know who threw a fit about the school becomming peanut free, it's just something easy that they know their kids will eat without whining and they don't want to deal with actually getting them to eat other foods.

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:22 PM
12 moms liked this
How is it unhealthy? There's plenty of protein in the PB, and depending on what jam/jelly they use, that part could be healthy too. (100% fruit preserves, for example.) We don't know what else is included in the lunch--for all we know it is full of nutrient-rich foods. You can't say a child's meal is unhealthy based solely from their sandwich.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:24 PM
5 moms liked this

Some kids are comforted by routine.  My oldest son has Aspergers and is like this.  Just like your son is different because he has a lot of allergies, my son is different because he likes his normal routine.

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:26 PM

In a way, good point about taking into account the rest of the lunch.  But its still unhealthy to teach your children to eat the same thing each day.

I'm always amazed at what my kid  likes....like beets and spinach LOL.  Who would have guessed in a million years.  He likes qionoa pastas, too!  But I introduce him to these things and send it to him to school (he's actually more likely to try foods at school than he is at home for some odd reason LOL).

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

How is it unhealthy? There's plenty of protein in the PB, and depending on what jam/jelly they use, that part could be healthy too. (100% fruit preserves, for example.) We don't know what else is included in the lunch--for all we know it is full of nutrient-rich foods. You can't say a child's meal is unhealthy based solely from their sandwich.

Quoting LucyHarper:

OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

That is what my son prefers in his lunch every day.  I get it.  As an adult, I still eat PB&J for lunch 90% of the time.  He has other healthy foods in his lunch as well that varies.  I see no issue with it. 

corrinacs
by on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:27 PM

This makes sense.  I can understand that.  I have a slight case of Asperger's but I've been able to overcome it. I still don't speak well under pressure though......I just stumble for words.  Doesn't even matter what kind of pressure....even good pressure LOL.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Some kids are comforted by routine.  My oldest son has Aspergers and is like this.  Just like your son is different because he has a lot of allergies, my son is different because he likes his normal routine.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 7, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Really?  You cured yourself of Aspergers?  How did you do that?

Quoting corrinacs:

This makes sense.  I can understand that.  I have a slight case of Asperger's but I've been able to overcome it. I still don't speak well under pressure though......I just stumble for words.  Doesn't even matter what kind of pressure....even good pressure LOL.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN