Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I know why he hates him!! Now what to do?!?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
  • 25 Replies
I posted about this before but DS and my nephew constantly butt heads!! They hate each other. They bring out the worst in each other.

I watch my nephew(3) during the day and I have been since he was 6 weeks old. And DS just started kindergarten this year and I also had a baby in July.

This morning they started fighting and DS yelled "why don't you just go to daycare!!!" I sat and talked to him and he said he's jealous I spend so much time with jordan(nephew) I go to college two nights a week and work nights so its true I don't see DS as nearly as much as I used to.... I talked to DH about leaving the baby with my sister and taking DS on a vacation alone for February vacation.

What else can I do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

bump

LoveMyLos
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Thats a great idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

he doesn't hate him, he's jealous.

As for what to do, try to take time and give him personal attention. But realize there will be issues with the baby as well. He will continue to be jealous when other kids take up your time.

Lindsayhoy0612
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
He probably is but he doesn't show any negative behavior towards her.... He always asks if I need help and if he can read her a book while I cook dinner

Quoting Idntreallycare:

As for what to do, try to take time and give him personal attention. But realize there will be issues with the baby as well. He will continue to be jealous when other kids take up your time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Reading to her for you is a way of getting your attention. He knows his sister has to stay but not his cousin so he wants him gone.

A vacation isn't a bad idea but I personally would do short day trips,just the 2 of us as opposed to a vacation.

Quoting Lindsayhoy0612:

He probably is but he doesn't show any negative behavior towards her.... He always asks if I need help and if he can read her a book while I cook dinner

Quoting Idntreallycare:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

I think a just you two vacation is a good start, but it won't fix anything.  I think you need to look at your schedule and find time in there for your own.  I can undersatnd why DS is acting the way that he is.  Even if its extra cuddle time before bed, etc.  Those extra few minutes here and there mean a lot :).

Good luck!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Like the other ladies said, he's craving your attention and is jealous of the attention that the nephew gets.  Try to set aside some time daily just for him.  Even if it is an extra book before bed, extra snuggle time, playing a game together, etc.  He is trying to tell you what he needs.

ihave1
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

You can spend more one on one time w/ him.   STOP watching your nephew. 

Dakota1228
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask your DS what would make him feel special or what he would like from you.  My oldest asked for us to read together once a week. So we went to barnes and nobles and had a great time.  Not a long trip maybe and hour a week but it was what made him happy.  My youger DS just wants me to sit outside and watch him play a game of basketball or football.  They are all different.  Let him choose what makes him feel better about the situation.

DiANAiVELiSSE
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Sorry BUMP for me as I am not there yet with the sibling rivalry/hatered

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN