Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

booster sit .my son is tall and heavy

Posted by   + Show Post
hi ladies

I have a concern. my son is 6.5 years old and he is 4.5 feet tall and 118 lbs. the booster sitt stocks on his butt. I cant find big enough booster sit for him. Does he need it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (31-40):
Momyplease
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM
Yes he is 118' I think in a matter of 6 months he will be as tall as I am. I just measured his feet last night and we have both a size 6 feet in women size. I think I'm going to take my car to that police station that I found in that website and let them inspect it.

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Only one that i know of that holds over 100lbs is the Sunshine kids Monteray Booster, it hold up to 120lb's. My son has this one, he is so tiny I think he will be 18 before he outgrows it.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

He is over 100 lbs so he should be out of the booster. I don't know of any that are rated above 100 lbs.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:37 PM

The Britax Frontier also holds up to 120 lbs and 65 inches.

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Only one that i know of that holds over 100lbs is the Sunshine kids Monteray Booster, it hold up to 120lb's. My son has this one, he is so tiny I think he will be 18 before he outgrows it.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

He is over 100 lbs so he should be out of the booster. I don't know of any that are rated above 100 lbs.

IloveNCIS
by Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

OK thanks for the information.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 3:50 PM

If he's 118 pounds, chances are he's too heavy for that booster to seat him safely anymore, anyway. I am certified as a car seat tech (I do it every year as part of continuing education for teaching, since I teach third grade), and I know of no boosters that are rated higher than that. 

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 5:27 PM

The problem that he will run into is that at 4.5 ft and 118 lbs, he is going to be very wide so being able to fit into the seat could be an issue.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Which is why I suggesting seeking out a reputable car seat tech and NOT CafeMom.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

The problem that he will run into is that at 4.5 ft and 118 lbs, he is going to be very wide so being able to fit into the seat could be an issue.

Quoting LntLckrsCmQut:

Quoting IloveNCIS:

Quoting momtoBrenna:

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM

And OP, without sounding offensive, as I know you said you are talking to your doctors, but if you can find a 120 lb backless booster, get it and work to get your LO to maintain or lose weight. 

piwife
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 7:30 PM
Have you had his pituritary gland check( sp)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Yes - he still most likely does need one...

Does he pass the 5 step test without one?

Boosters Are For Big Kids   

Most kids need to ride in a booster seat from about age 4 until age 10-12.

If your child isn’t using a booster, try the simple test below the next time you ride together in the car.  You may find that your child is not yet ready to use a safety belt without a booster.

The 5-Step Test.

1. Does the child sit all the way back against the auto seat?
2. Do the child's knees bend comfortably at the edge of the auto seat?
3. Does the belt cross the shoulder between the neck and arm?
4. Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs?
5. Can the child stay seated like this for the whole trip?

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, your child needs a booster seat to make both the shoulder belt and the lap belt fit right for the best crash protection.  Your child will be more comfortable, too!

For best protection, all children should ride in the back seat until they are ready to drive. It's twice as safe as the front seat.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I would highly recommend you join the car seat safety group and chat with some techs.  There are a few factors to consider here...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)