Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you do Boy Scouts?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 114 Replies

We aren't on a very large budget. I want my son/husband to have some time together, but I feel like Boy Scouts was a bit deceiving. They said it was only $30 or so to sign up for a year... which is totally doable...

but we went to a big Christmas party/meeting thing, and they started loading up with other expenses- his uniform, a book he has to have, payment for some of the monthly activities... just other stuff. Looks like it's gonna cost us a lot more than we anticipated!!!

Is this normal? What is the yearly amount for, if it doesn't cover all the other things? And why weren't they upfront about the other costs?

My son and one other little boy are the only ones in their age group. There's a possibility that there will be a third. So I don't see them being able to do a whole lot of camping, hiking, fishing, etc...plus it's run by women. My husband volunteered to help out but he has to undergo a lot of background checks and whatnot before he's official, so for now it's a bunch of moms. Not that women aren't capable, but I had hoped it would be a dudes thing... more roughin' it and less....quilting. lol. No I don't actually know what they are gonna do... I just wanna make sure this is worth my money!

****Do me a favor.... lets not make this a debate over homosexuality or hate or w/e else. I'm asking about my son and my husband and dues and activities... not your opinions on religion, sexuality, or otherwise.****

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:38 PM
DS was never interested so we never pursued it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:45 PM

I was thinking about putting my son in it for next year (this summer).  But I don't know all the costs involved.  Thanks for the headsup, I hate it when they do that ;/.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:46 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SexyDiva19
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I had my son in Boy Scouts for a while. The guy who ran my son's pack quit suddenly and so they had no leader. I became the leader for the boys and they were 7 7 year old boys I was in charge of along with their dads. It got to be a bit much for me because my son had school, I had school and I had to work so we stopped going. One of the other dads took over though.

All in all the costs sound about right. It is sort of expensive

lilbit04
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
The uniform is a bit pricey but we got a bigger size for DS so it would last longer, our Troup is led by a bunch of women as well but there are a few men, my DH is DS' den leader so it works out and the annual fee for us is $15....it is always going to be more starting out. I feel it's worth it and women are just capable of hunting, fishing, hiking, ect. As men are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:53 PM
How old is your son? When they just start out in cub scouts they don't do a lot of camping, they have to learn stuff first. My son is 7 and just started cub scouts a few months ago, he really likes it a lot.

Yes the uniform was a bit pricey but with any activity or sport you will normally have to purchase a uniform. We only needed the shirt, hat, belt, and patches which ran me a little over $50 I think.

Their dues are 50 cents per week which is not bad if you ask me.

So far we haven't incurred any other expenses.

But overall I think Boy Scouts is a great program for boys.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:54 PM
NO I DON'T TRUST THEM PROGRAMS ..THY CAN DO ALL THE BACK GROUND CHECKS THY WONT BUT U CAN NEVER BE 100 % SURE WHO UR GETTING AND WHAT THY WILL DO .
saltlifemama
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM
1 mom liked this

We did boy scouts for a year. It can be rather pricey depending on your pack. Ours was kind of laid back so we didn't have to buy everything others did.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:55 PM

My son is eligible to join this spring so he will. Dh is an Eagle Scout, as is dh's dad, his brother & other family members.

can you talk to them about the financial part? I have no experience w them yet, but I'd think they'd want to help if that's what's holding you back.

meliscool72
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would ask the person who signed you up why they weren't up front and let them know that if you knew the actual cost of the whole thing you wouldn't have persued it and if there is any "charity" out there that can help him stay in the program and why there is not a male leader

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)