Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What happened to the whole school thing?!?!

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 74 Replies

So I have an SD, and sometimes I have to bring her to school or pick her up from school. She goes to a public school, which I am not happy about.  Yes, it is in the ritziest neighborhood in the city (her mom's), and it consistently gets very high scores, but the first time I went to her classroom the teacher had "watermelon" incorrectly on a poster!  Her teacher is dumb.  Flat out. SD isn't learning anything except how to color.  She is in kindergarten and can't count to 100 or read even one word (we are working on it at home since school is just nose-picking time, apparently). 

The school is huge.  There are so many kids.  It doesn't feel homey, it doesn't feel like a community.

Well, it does, but not in the right way.  This is community of horrible snobby moms who are breeding horrible rotten mean girls!  What happened since I was a kid?  I have no idea.  The moms drop their kids off dressed like they're going to a fashion show, and they eye each other in the hallway and whisper.  They judge you based on the lunches you send -- apparently you can only send organic, non-processed, whole foods or else you're put in some lower class instantly, and the moms tell their kids not to play with your kid. I'm not even joking.  One of the moms commented that I packed strawberry cream cheese on her bagel -- don't I know that's too much sugar?  REALLY?!?!  How the eff does she know what I packed anyway?

What happened to cheese crackers and PB&J sandwiches and Hi-C?  Kids are required to have water bottles in class now?  And it is ok for kids in first grade to wear sweat pants with words across the ass, or super tight skinny jeans?

It just wasn't like this when I was a kid.  I feel like I'm in The Twilight Zone when I visit her school.  Is this everywhere, or is she just in a bad school?  Or am I just a total weirdo to get upset at these things?

At her talent show, the first graders wore leggings and belly shirts and sang some song about "we will never get back together ever" while dancing totally inappropriately.  What happened to singing Old McDonald dressed like barnyard animals?!?!

I went to private school, but it was certainly not a ritzy one at all.  The moms didn't have these weird mom parades, and we actually learned things, and had discipline, and wore uniforms that were appropriate for us.  Her school just seems like a free for all.  Is it always like this nowadays?

by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Bump
Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Ok u just described the private school I went to lol. My dd goes to public school and it is an amazing one but nothing like all that. Maybe because we are in the country
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:19 PM
5 moms liked this

First of all you need to take a deep breath and a step back. Clearly where she goes to school is NOT your call. You come across as jealous, petty, and seriously insecure. Focus on being a good parent and stop worrying about everyone else. I'm sorry if this comes across harsh, but your post struck a nerve with me.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM

That school sounds like a typical sheep mill that is more concerned with those standardized test scores than teaching anything that's not on the test. Schools have changed a lot over the past 5 years let alone the 26 years since I was in K. Keep working with her at home and I hope that she gets a better teacher next year. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Kindergarten is all about the basics for first part of the year so she will not be reading tons of words.   It sounds like you have very high expectations for the school when perhaps you havent been in the primary grades for the last 10 years.   Yes everyone may dress in their 500 dollar outfits but that does not mean your sd has to.  Teach her how to be proud of her own age appropriate style in dressing.   We teach our children how to be their own and not be sheep or to keep up with the joneses.   Water bottles are to cut down on children wanting to go to water fountain spreading germs there.

Paperfishies
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:30 PM
This, exactly. This kid has a mom, her school is not your choice.

Quoting mjande4:

First of all you need to take a deep breath and a step back. Clearly where she goes to school is NOT your call. You come across as jealous, petty, and seriously insecure. Focus on being a good parent and stop worrying about everyone else. I'm sorry if this comes across harsh, but your post struck a nerve with me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:31 PM
In a nutshell, focus on your sd and what she does and ignore the rest of them. Not every public school is like this and since tou have no say in the matter, I wouldn't let it bother you so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RetiredUSAFWife
by on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't know how old you are, but I'm a grandma. My husband and I have been raising our grandchildren. Yes, when I was a kid there were certain standards. (The teachers would feel up our legs, to make sure we weren't wearing Nylon stockings to school. We had to wear a uniform to school and had restrictions on what colours etc to wear. I think it is a good idea to have a uniform, so that ALL children have the same styles and then no one is looked upon as different. Even if some of the children are from low income families, they all looked alike in the uniforms. I'm from England originally and the children over there still wear uniforms to school. My pet peeve is the fact that the teachers aren't teaching the children as much anymore. Yes, the parents seem to be getting the job of teaching. I used to think that teachers earned their money. Especially in todays schools, where they cannot discipline the children anymore. I remember, when I was in school, and messed up for some reason, Well I got the upended ruler across my knuckles and to this day I don't remember what I did wrong, but by golly I never did it again. So discipline works and it is necessary for todays children too. (If you want them to turn out okay, they must be disciplined). I don't mean you have to beat them up of course, but discipline does make a difference. So teachers today do have it harder than when I was growing up, and I confess, I wouldnt want to be a teacher today. Some of the teachers in our elementary school are wonderful caring people and they go out of their way to do as much as they can for the children. But other schools are just not the same. Wake Up America, we've got to do something to change this. Thanks for listening.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM
My oldest child started kindergarten 7 years ago and things haven't changed much at all since then. They've changed drastically since I was in kindergarten 35 or so years ago.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

That school sounds like a typical sheep mill that is more concerned with those standardized test scores than teaching anything that's not on the test. Schools have changed a lot over the past 5 years let alone the 26 years since I was in K. Keep working with her at home and I hope that she gets a better teacher next year. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I should have qualified my statement with the schools where I live. They have gone from A rated to F rated over the past 5 years. 

Quoting steelcrazy:

My oldest child started kindergarten 7 years ago and things haven't changed much at all since then. They've changed drastically since I was in kindergarten 35 or so years ago.

Quoting momtoBrenna:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)