Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I am so tired of washing sheets! My kid is 10 and he pees in his bed every single nite. I am considering buying diapers again
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
heathermom77
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Mine is a 3rd grader

Quoting nova.mommy:

I had a friend in 4-6 grade who had a bladder control problem when she slept.  She had to take medicine at bedtime for it.  As long as she took the medicine. she kept the bed dry.  Have his doctor check for any medical issues and use Goodnites Disposable Bed Mats.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I assume she had the issue then too, but it was not until 4th grade that she did sleep-overs.

Quoting heathermom77:

Mine is a 3rd grader

Quoting nova.mommy:

I had a friend in 4-6 grade who had a bladder control problem when she slept.  She had to take medicine at bedtime for it.  As long as she took the medicine. she kept the bed dry.  Have his doctor check for any medical issues and use Goodnites Disposable Bed Mats.

heathermom77
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:42 AM
Anyone know how to get the pee odor out of his room?
Kerrigan357
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

It's very important not to vent your frustration at him..not saying that you are, just advising.  My son had this issue and I would vent (and I am SO ashamed to admit this but this was several years ago) by saying "are you a baby? Do you need to wear diapers still?" and then I finally took him to the doctor who suggested to get a scan on his lower abdomen, and his colon was backed up really bad which pressed on his bladder, decreasing sensation of the need to pee.  Maybe go see a different doctor and mention this.  My son ended up taking miralax for a year.  The problem went away within 2 weeks of starting it.  Anyway, just food for thought.  Best wishes!!!

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:56 AM

They also make plastic covers you can put over the mattress. Don't know where to get them though.

nova.mommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
  • Clean the mattress with one of the cleaners meant for pet odors.
  • Febreze
  • New mattress(I know you may not want to, but the center of it may be saturated and no matter how much it is cleaned, the odor may always be there.  If you get a new mattress, get some waterproof mattress covers so when we wets the bed you can change the pad/cover too and then throw it in the wash.)
Quoting heathermom77:

Anyone know how to get the pee odor out of his room?

corrinacs
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

They make cloth pull ups just for this reason.  At this point, though, I'd speak to your pediatrician.

You can't night train a child, its a hormonal process that kicks in around age 5-7 which tells the brain to hold in pee and wake you when you need to go (or wait until morning).  It also slows down the kidney function to make it less liky youll have to go.

Good luck!

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Since he is 10 I would get a second opinion about it being a medical issue (if he were 4 I'd be saying or thinking something else...).  In the meantime I would look into the bed pads, but realistically if it's every night (or close enough) I would get a pack of the Underjams or Good Nights...and do not call them diapers whatever you do...  And then start saving up for a new mattress because it's going to be easier to just get rid of the old one once you get things figured out than to try to get rid of the smell.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Get either the big kid sleep pants or the mattress pads... and talk to his pediatrician.  It could be something as simple as long term constipation... a kid can be constipated and you won't even know it because they do have SOME bowel movements, but there is pressure that keeps the bladder from truly emptying until they are completely relaxed (asleep)... I treated my kid with a series of pediatric enemas and laxatives, increased fiber and water, and within a month, no more bed wetting... and once the bowels moved, they REALLY moved... I had no idea a kid that small could have that much poop in them.  The best part?  No more bed-wetting...

For starters, though, get the sleep pants, and just be matter of fact about it.  Unless a kid has been abused or has some other psych issue, they DO NOT want to sleep in a pissy wet bed.  It is not laziness... if they COULD get up they would...  Shame will not work... punishment will not work...

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Walmart, Target, K-mart- they are like big vinyl bags that fit over the whole mattress, or you can get the kid that just fit over the top like a fitted sheet.  They aren't expensive, and have saved many a mattress in our house...

Quoting bunnywzrd:

They also make plastic covers you can put over the mattress. Don't know where to get them though.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)