Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
I am so tired of washing sheets! My kid is 10 and he pees in his bed every single nite. I am considering buying diapers again
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
twi
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 1:26 PM

wake him up after he has been asleep for about 4 or 5 hrs. My son had the same problem and I got him up and took him to the bathroom after he was asleep for that long and he usually doesn't have an accident. We tried to use an alarm clock and that didn't work, so I had to go in there and get him up. Now I don't get him up and he might wet the bed once a month.  Also cut off liquid 2hrs before bed and have him use the bathroom before bed. You can also take him to his doctor and they have medicine they can take for it. I would not put him in diapers though. I am sure he hates peeing the bed just as much as you hate washing the sheets. :)

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:07 PM

I would get him checked out ASAP

heathermom77
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:08 PM
He has always wet the bed...daytime accidents too

Quoting STVUstudent:

Has this been going on all along, or is it a new development?  If it is new, see the doctor.  If it is the way he has always been, get night pants...

heathermom77
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM
We've seen at least 3 different drs

Quoting bizkit_fanky:

I would get him checked out ASAP

heathermom77
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:21 PM
Yes, he is a very deep sleeper. Potty training in general was a nightmare and we have been seeing drs about this since he was 5. Not only will he wet every night, he will wet even when he naps which is not too often anymore and will even come in wet and even poop pants at times when he is playing outside away from the bathroom

Quoting daughteroftruth:

get the kids goodnights.  Have you talked to his ped? Its no longer considered "normal" after about age 7, and every night seems a bit excessive... is he a hard sleeper?

joshlor2
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this
They sell training undies that have an alarm. Kinda works like the cooling pull ups, but makes a sound. Those might work.

My cousin wet the bed until she was 12. My grandmother had to get her up twice a night to go potty, or she would flood the bed. His bladder will catch up him eventually.
aj23
by Silver Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:27 PM

If he's having accidents while awake at 10 there is something going on other than being a deep sleeper.
Have you taken him to a psychiatrist? If the doctors can't find a physical problem there may be something he's having issues with.

Quoting heathermom77:

Yes, he is a very deep sleeper. Potty training in general was a nightmare and we have been seeing drs about this since he was 5. Not only will he wet every night, he will wet even when he naps which is not too often anymore and will even come in wet and even poop pants at times when he is playing outside away from the bathroom

Quoting daughteroftruth:

get the kids goodnights.  Have you talked to his ped? Its no longer considered "normal" after about age 7, and every night seems a bit excessive... is he a hard sleeper?

JanieJo
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:29 PM
My 6 year old is still in diapers overnite and probably should be during the day
heathermom77
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 11:37 PM
Believe me I know. We have explored all avenues and I really don't know what to do anymore!

Quoting aj23:

If he's having accidents while awake at 10 there is something going on other than being a deep sleeper.
Have you taken him to a psychiatrist? If the doctors can't find a physical problem there may be something he's having issues with.

Quoting heathermom77:

Quoting daughteroftruth:

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM
1 mom liked this

I know this can be hard.  Have you considered checking for constipation?  Many doctors don't even thiink about this as an option- we chanced on it online, and our doctor had actually had some knowledge of it.  It did help for us.

Meanwhile, get sleep pants.  If they aren't enough, bet a bed mat as well.  Get a vinyl sleeve for the mattress.  I would skip the mattress pad- just more to wash... use just a sheet over the vinyl sheet.  For the daytime issues, quietly remind him throughout the day to use the toilet.  Before he starts any new activity, before he goes outside, as soon as he comes inside... extreme?  Maybe... but sometimes, that is what we as moms need to do.

On a positive (sort of) note, I was a heavy duty bedwetter... up until i was 15 or so... (yeah, wow), and when it stopped, it just stopped... all of a sudden, I wasn't doing it anymore.  Believe me, if there had been anything I could do to stop it, I would have.  It was embarrasing... I couldn't have sleepovers or go on sleepovers, and I was wet nearly every morning when I woke up... When I was around 12, my mom took me to the doctor, who gave me some pills that may have helped a little (I don't remember), but then my mom never got them refilled... she was kind of "if I pretend it isn't happening, I don't have to deal with it".  Thankfully, she never tried to shame me or anything... it would not have helped...

Good luck...

Quoting heathermom77:

Believe me I know. We have explored all avenues and I really don't know what to do anymore!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN