Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hi I'm new here and I have a question and need some advice.

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi there, I will start out by saying that this is a decision that ultimately my hubby and I has to make on our own. But I just wanted to see if I am over thinking this situation, like I often do. 

We had to move very quickly back in August so we just took what we could find at the time without looking at what would be our "home school" (we weren't thinking that we would be here this long). After doing so research our "home school" is the worst in the district. There is a school that I would love her to go to (its an all day kindergaten and its multiaged school, the only one in the area). So I called to BOE office the other day to see how open enrollment worked here. And this school has a different transfer form and usually ends up with a waiting list and then they do a lottery system from that (or something like that). 

So, we have a few options.

Option one: try to get her into that school with no guarantees.

Option two: try to get her into another school in the district. 

Option three: move to the "home school" area of the school that we want her to go to. This is an option as we only signed a 6 month lease with at our current place.

So what would you do?

Thanks for the advice!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I would at least fill out all the paper work for the lottery school and see what happens. That is what I am doing with the Charter School that I would like my son to go to. You never know what can happen. In the mean time I would get her into another school in the district. There is nothing saying you can't do both. The Charter School that I want my son to go to has their lottery in May so either way he will go somewhere. Either the new school on the school he is in now.

There is nothing really wrong with his public school, but I wanted something different for him.

 

bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:54 AM

I think if it is an option and something that would be fairly easy to do I personally would move to the district you like. Then she would be guaranteed a place at the school.

mybabiesmom1
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

i would go for the school with no quarantess since school is very important and if that doesn't work out then try somewhere else. you never know you might get lucky. Best of luck

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

 I would fill out the paperwork for the lottery. Then go ahead and start to look for something in that school's home school area. If you move into it, great! If not, you're all set for the lottery.

 

 

 

 

 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:11 AM
If you only have a 6 month lease, I would look for a new place to live in the other school's area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Hey,

Well, all of these decisions are quite loaded, so its not going to be easy no matter how you look at it.

What are your favorite choices?  What choice is your pros/cons leaning towards?

If you really like the school references in Option 1, go for it. You might as well get her on the list.  If you change your mind, its easy to say nevermind when your name is drawn.  Unless they have a very expensive fee to apply.  Also, its unusual for them to do transfers this late in the game (at least where I am) so the liklihood of getting in this year is pretty slim....what were the "chances" the person told you?

Moving her to another school district sounds more like it.  If you can, talk to the Superintendent and current school principal about the situation.  Let them know of your child's needs and how you feel that the school she's districted for will NOT meet her needs. You may have to make a case for it, but it will increase your chances of transferring schools.

If you want to move, you can.  Since your lease ends, you will have to decide if you watn to stay or go.  Are there reasons why you would want to stay or leave tyour current place?  I know its hard moving again after only 6 months, but if you could move to the district that's for the school you want her to go to, then they can't argue with that ;).

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

First, look at the demographics of the school you are in.... are there a lot of ESL students? Special Ed students? Sometimes you can have a poorer performing school in a district, but still have great teachers that churn out students that are excelling for their grade level. Sometimes the scores of a school do not explain the makeup of the school, and the factors which can skew a score when compared to another school in the district.

That said, if indeed the teachers aren't good, and the school is sending underachievers to middle school (Ask people who have kids attending the school for the "real scoop" about your home school), then by all means look into other school options. Full day K is much better than half day. If you can get into a program for full day K (and the teacher is good), try to do it. Just know that some kids that went to full day, do get bored once they get to 1st grade and are mixed with a class that some students attend half day. The first half of the yr often seems to be review. Full day K kids often have learned more than their half day counterparts, even considering the skills lost during the summer break.

If you want to be assured your daughter will go to the school of your choice, move into that schools boundary. Otherwise, you can take your chance, knowing you may need to make a move again if you are not happy with the school.

saltlifemama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM

This

Quoting wakymom:

 I would fill out the paperwork for the lottery. Then go ahead and start to look for something in that school's home school area. If you move into it, great! If not, you're all set for the lottery.

 

 

 

 

 


In our house WE DO REAL, WE DO MISTAKES, WE DO I'M SORRY, WE DO SECOND CHANCES, WE DO FUN, WE DO HUGS, WE DO FORGIVENESS, WE DO REALLY LOUD, WE DO FAMILY and lastly WE DO LOVE!


jen113000
by Jenna on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Definitely fill out the paperwork for the school you'd want. Also couldn't hurt to look for a house there if you'd really like to live there. You need to weigh all options and be prepared for any of these situations to work or not work out in your favor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)