Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you hand back talk and smart mouth?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 28 Replies

My DS just turned 8. In the last year or so he has developed a smart mouth and back talks a lot. What ever I am doing is just not effective. Looking for advice on how other parents handle it.

TIA!

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bunnywzrd
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:52 AM

All I have to do is give my 10 year old dd "the look" and she stops and apologizes. LOL. I know most kids are not that easy. If she gets really bad, which I think has happened only once, I send her to her room for a while.

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

I tell him that is not acceptable and until he can talk to me appropriately then he is to sit in his room and do nothing. That usually does the trick.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

Mine get sent to their rm sometimes. Other times, depending on what was said, they get a little smack on the mouth (I know, not a popular action, but it's my house). Still other times, I look at them w/ an arched eyebrow and say, "Excuse me?!" and they reword things.

Dh and I can be pretty smartalecky and sarcastic, so some of the things we let our kids get away w/ saying might not be acceptable to others.

No matter how you decide to handle it, make sure you are consistent w/ it. Eventually they get the message.

RaizingBoyz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I should also add that he is very argumentative...

Kerrigan357
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:58 AM

What things have you tried in dealing with this?  My kids know that actions have consequences.  Make a good choice, good consequences follow.  Make a bad choice like sassing and bad consequences follow such as grounding from his favorite thing or threat of not getting to go to something he was really looking forward to.  That usually works.  Also, how are the other males in your life treating you?  He will follow what he sees, and if Dad is in the house, Dad needs to talk to him about respect for his mother and females in general.  

Kerrigan357
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:03 AM

That's a good one too!

Quoting natesmom1228:

I tell him that is not acceptable and until he can talk to me appropriately then he is to sit in his room and do nothing. That usually does the trick.

RaizingBoyz
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Here are the things that I have done...

- take ipod, ipad, playing with friends privilages away

- I have told him it is not appropriate to speak to me that way and it is disrespectful. Then I make his talk appropiately to me

- I have send him to his room or "the chair" (basically time out) - I feel like sometimes maybe he is to old to time out. Yes? No?

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Quoting RaizingBoyz:

Here are the things that I have done...

- take ipod, ipad, playing with friends privilages away

- I have told him it is not appropriate to speak to me that way and it is disrespectful. Then I make his talk appropiately to me

- I have send him to his room or "the chair" (basically time out) - I feel like sometimes maybe he is to old to time out. Yes? No?

My son is 12 and if he is going to be inappropriate, then that is the way I treat him.

reche1978
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:15 AM

my kids get smacked in the mouth and if it continues they get privleges taken away

HunternChase
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM
I have a 13 year old and almost 8 year old.. I take everything away that I can and if he keeps up I ground them from anything fun.. I don't know what else to do with them..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)