Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do You Think of Kids Participating in Nude Olympics?

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
  • 16 Replies

Kids Participating in Nude Olympics Is All Kinds of Wrong

Posted by Julie Ryan Evans

naked statueYou know, I'm all for more inclusion of children in our society than less. When restaurants ban children and people act like they're more toxic than radioactive waste, I bristle. But there are some activities in which children should just never ever be included -- like in nude Olympics, for example.

Oh but yes, they are. The Australia Nude Olympics are coming up at Maslin Beach January 20. The games will include about 20 races and activities, all being done by people in their birthday suits. Children are more than welcome and can participate in events like sack races and treasure hunts. One of the event organizers even told news.com.au that they're planning it as a "safe family event."

Are they freaking serious?

Let's see, the first thing that comes to mind is ... child molesters! No, not all nudists are child molesters, but if you advertise that you can be naked around a bunch of children, well, I'd say that's like a big white flag welcoming in a bunch of twisted perverts, no?

Oh, but organizers say they have a plan to help protect the kids -- they'll have them wear pants. Organizer Debbie Pillar told the site, "We will be making sure children wear bottoms before participating and hopefully we won't have any issues.'' Because pants always protect kids from molesters?

And while they say they will prohibit "unauthorized" photography, you know how easy it is to take stealth pictures these days. Who knows where your kid's picture could end up, and pants or not, that's just creepy.

I have nothing against nudists who want to embrace their bodies in private and have a nude household. I think at a certain age it's probably embarrassing for kids, and it's something I'd never do. But to each his own ... to a certain point. Taking your kids to a place full of naked adults (especially one that's advertised as such) is asking for all sorts of problems, and I fail to see any kind of benefit in doing so. And safety aside, these poor kids are probably going to be scarred for life when they see some of those aging bodies running and jumping in their full, saggy glory.

Would you ever let your children attend or participate in nude Olympics?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM

I personally wouldn't allow my son to attend or participate, but this is another country that does things differently. I am sure there are parents that would allow their children to participate.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I probably would not encourage it. Other countries arent as prudish as the US nor do they seem to have such a problem with adults targeting children in that way.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM

My child would not participate. Hell I wouldn't go so participation is a non issue. But it does make me wonder if its clothing optional, or full nude only?

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Ok this is also imo a cultural issue. I am from e. Texas And live in e. Europe And i gaurantee it is much more normal to see for example topless at normal beaches even. Not sure how it is There And we would not go but it is not as shocking to me as it was when i moved here. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:33 PM

As long as they are suppervised and the kids wear pants, I don't see a problem. The nude Olympics has nothing to do with nudists, it's reinnacting the tradition of having the olympics in the nude, and if they are all nudists, those kids are around naked adults all the time anyway. There are lots of places and cultures where kids are naked most of the time or adults barely wear anything. A kid is not going to be "scarred for life" from seeing a naked person. It's common in my town for groups of people to go skinny dipping in the summer, it's not a big deal. 

saltlifemama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Being an American with an American view point no I would not let my children be involved. However I do not feel that this should be turned into something bad or wrong. Nudity is not always sexual.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:47 PM

Being nude doesn't automatically mean people are going to be humping each other - or that adults are going to molest the other adults either. Its just as likely that an adult would try to take advantage of another adult as it is that there could be a child molester there checking out the kids.  I don't personally think either is any more likely than at any other event where strangers are together.  Perhaps less so, I'd assume there is some sort of code of conduct amongst nudists.

While it isn't something I would participate in, mostly from a comfort level for me personally (I do not wish to be seen naked!), I wouldn't criticize Australian parents for participating.  I'd assume they are supervising their children properly & have taught them what is acceptable behavior toward others & from others.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 9, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Quoting natesmom1228:

I personally wouldn't allow my son to attend or participate, but this is another country that does things differently. I am sure there are parents that would allow their children to participate.

family in the van   Mom of four

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

I probably would not encourage it. Other countries arent as prudish as the US nor do they seem to have such a problem with adults targeting children in that way.

Exactly, other countries have different cultures and aren't as prudish like most are here in the USA. So no, I see no issue in children taking part in this event. I myself wouldn't take part in it, nor allow my children.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Um, no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)