Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Did I make the wrong choice??

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
  • 19 Replies

My son is on the spectrum (autism) and we have had him in services for years he was in a special pre-school and everything until this year. This year he started kindergarten He is right on target academically ahead even but behavior wise he is really struggling.

After the first grading period his teacher and i talked, and she would say well he (for example) is always tapping on the floor during circle time. I was shocked that this was something he was getting in trouble for considering that it is an autistic behavior a common one at that. Almost everything she said he had gotten "in trouble" for was behaviors that are normal for him.

The teacher told me she had no idea that the behaviors mentioned were autistic ones and she would take them inot consideration but over all I have not really seen any changes in what she marks him down in his behavior folder. Did i make a bad choice intergrating him?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:27 PM

First thing you should do is sit down and educate the teacher on what it is his normal behaviors and provide suggestions on how she can handle it.  If he can handle it academically, try it again but you and the teacher will need to be a team from this point forward.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I don't think you made a bad choice in integrating him, I think maybe his teacher is a bad fit for him though.

And that's not anything against the teacher, it's just some teachers are better at handling certain things than others.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

First thing you should do is sit down and educate the teacher on what it is his normal behaviors and provide suggestions on how she can handle it.  If he can handle it academically, try it again but you and the teacher will need to be a team from this point forward.

I agree.  Definitely help educate her and perhaps write up a list of his normal quirks for her.

NoahsCoolMama
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Those are normal to him being Autistic. She obviously does not have much experience with Autism. I would do as the other poster have said and educate her or provide suggestions on how to handle your son. If he is fine academically, then the teacher should be able to work with you on other issues.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this
This.

DS (not on the spectrum) had a hard time focusing and not distracting others. His 3rd grade teacher, who happened to also be certified in special ed, put a strip of fuzzy velcro under his. That little trick worked wonders!

You and the teacher need to work together and finds ways to help him. It sounds like he's doing well!

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't think you made a bad choice in integrating him, I think maybe his teacher is a bad fit for him though.

And that's not anything against the teacher, it's just some teachers are better at handling certain things than others.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matofour
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:17 PM
Does he have an Iep or 504?

He may benefit from one. Because while this year you have an understanding teacher, you might not always. The Iep or 504 protects your sons rights.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 4:45 PM

A friend of mine has a letter typed up that she gives to her son's teachers at the beginning of every school year.  It lists all of his common behaviors, as well as things that "set him off".  It also lists what she has found that works to help control his behaviors and what to do when he has a melt down.  Teachers have always been very receptive and appreciative of the letter.  Some have even given the mom feed back on other things that they have found that work with him as well.

Parents and teachers need to work together as a team.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:17 PM

Is he on an IEP?  If so, I would make sure behavior is talked about in it.  If not, get him one!  In future years, I would definitely send the teacher info prior to starting the year.  A special ed teacher really should be in the mix, helping, etc., but unfortunately that is not always the case or not always effective.  No, you didn't make a mistake integrating him.  Did you have a choice not to?  I didn't think that was even an option for high functioning students.  Where I have taught, the only self contained autistic kids are VERY limited - non verbal, low academics, uncontrolable behavior.  I think you just need the teacher to understand him and get him appropriate services/aides for school.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 9, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Quoting M4LG5:

family in the van   Mom of four

14LVL
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 AM
No you didn't make a mistake. Shame on the teacher for not recognizing the signs and symptoms. Nowadays, teachers should be able to quickly recognize the signs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)