Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My son is on the spectrum (autism) and we have had him in services for years he was in a special pre-school and everything until this year. This year he started kindergarten He is right on target academically ahead even but behavior wise he is really struggling.

After the first grading period his teacher and i talked, and she would say well he (for example) is always tapping on the floor during circle time. I was shocked that this was something he was getting in trouble for considering that it is an autistic behavior a common one at that. Almost everything she said he had gotten "in trouble" for was behaviors that are normal for him.

The teacher told me she had no idea that the behaviors mentioned were autistic ones and she would take them inot consideration but over all I have not really seen any changes in what she marks him down in his behavior folder. Did i make a bad choice intergrating him?

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Replies (11-19):
LivinDeadGurl
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't think you made a bad choice in integrating him, I think maybe his teacher is a bad fit for him though.

And that's not anything against the teacher, it's just some teachers are better at handling certain things than others.

I agree with this.

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:30 AM

I would talk to the principal.  For this K teacher to not allow children to fidget at that age is simply ridiculous.  Even non-autistic kids fidget at that age.  Either this teacher must loosen up and get her expectations in line with what is developmentally correct for her children or have him moved to another classroom with a more laid back and aware teacher.  

icn_mom
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 6:42 AM

I dont think you made the wrong choice.. I think the teachers now a days really need to get a grip on what ASD really is about and what they can learn to expect! (my dd's teacher said oh well she doesnt flap her arms so shes not autistic) wow really? talk about ignorance... Give it time, and if you feel you should sit down with the teacher and explain what she can expect from your son, his typcical behavior patterns etc. I think that every child deserves at least the chance for intergration! :) Good luck

littleleesmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I totally understand this! People tell me all the time that my son does not act autistic after spending only a hour or two.Later they acknowledge they see the behaviors. People forget that all children are different. Not all autistic children flap thier arms or use something like that. My son has many autistic behaviors (including under heavy stress flapping his arms).

Quoting icn_mom:

I dont think you made the wrong choice.. I think the teachers now a days really need to get a grip on what ASD really is about and what they can learn to expect! (my dd's teacher said oh well she doesnt flap her arms so shes not autistic) wow really? talk about ignorance... Give it time, and if you feel you should sit down with the teacher and explain what she can expect from your son, his typcical behavior patterns etc. I think that every child deserves at least the chance for intergration! :) Good luck

icn_mom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Quoting littleleesmom:

I totally understand this! People tell me all the time that my son does not act autistic after spending only a hour or two.Later they acknowledge they see the behaviors. People forget that all children are different. Not all autistic children flap thier arms or use something like that. My son has many autistic behaviors (including under heavy stress flapping his arms).

Quoting icn_mom:

my daughter crosses her fingers (like when your little and your crossing your fingers behind your back when makeing a promise?) she does that in social enviorments all of the time, and uses "tickle tickle" (she tickles me or the adult shes close with) to draw attention away from her or make her feel more comfortable... she also chews on things ( i send her to school with gum so shes not chewing on her clothes or finger nails). I cannot stand the stereotypes behind austism spectrum disorders. I went as far to tell the special ed director she really needs to get her nose out of the books published in 1960 because the spectrum is far more broad then it used to be!!! I think that all teachers as part of their training should be schooled in some type of ABA therapy of sorts, and also schooled to talk to parents before making assumptions about children they are working with.. sorry for the rant just a really close subject for me lol.

littleleesmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I have sat down with this teacher a few times this last time i requested a representative from the special ed department. He has an ARD coming up and i see changes happening soon. I am thinking that it may be time to consider changing teachers. I was really hoping this would work out.

littleleesmom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting littleleesmom:

Quoting icn_mom:

my daughter crosses her fingers (like when your little and your crossing your fingers behind your back when makeing a promise?) she does that in social enviorments all of the time, and uses "tickle tickle" (she tickles me or the adult shes close with) to draw attention away from her or make her feel more comfortable... she also chews on things ( i send her to school with gum so shes not chewing on her clothes or finger nails). I cannot stand the stereotypes behind austism spectrum disorders. I went as far to tell the special ed director she really needs to get her nose out of the books published in 1960 because the spectrum is far more broad then it used to be!!! I think that all teachers as part of their training should be schooled in some type of ABA therapy of sorts, and also schooled to talk to parents before making assumptions about children they are working with.. sorry for the rant just a really close subject for me lol.

My son chews on his cloths i never realized that was an asd thing! I agree on being touchy about this subject i am so educated on it that it irritates me when people are stupid about it. All i ask is that the teachers listen when i try to warn them this teacher gave me the impression that she knew what she was talking about and was educated on the subject. However then she tells me that she had no idea that jumping up in down in place was an autistic behavior.

tiffs2009
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM
I agree. I also agree with the first response that maybe a solution is to teach his teacher how to handle his problematic behaviors

Quoting mom2jessnky:

I don't think you made a bad choice in integrating him, I think maybe his teacher is a bad fit for him though.

And that's not anything against the teacher, it's just some teachers are better at handling certain things than others.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
icn_mom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Quoting littleleesmom:

Quoting icn_mom:

Quoting littleleesmom:

Quoting icn_mom:

My son chews on his cloths i never realized that was an asd thing! I agree on being touchy about this subject i am so educated on it that it irritates me when people are stupid about it. All i ask is that the teachers listen when i try to warn them this teacher gave me the impression that she knew what she was talking about and was educated on the subject. However then she tells me that she had no idea that jumping up in down in place was an autistic behavior.

This is why they need to be educated with recent information! Jumping up and down to me sounds like a large stimulating behavior! and to know that a child is on the spectrum and not put two and two together shows a problem with either common sense or lack of education!! thankfully I have not run into an issue with my daughter in school and the teachers coming to me with complaints.. if they did have complaints id talk it out the best I could, then ask what they need... I sometimes can be very intimidating though, you know that mom with bear claws lol..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)