Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

test for gifted program update

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM
  • 15 Replies

hello my son took the test for the gifted program at my request and he said most of it was really hard do you think that could mean he is not quite as gifted as i thought he may be

my son did end up getting into the gifted program.  the more i talked to people i realized the test is supposed to get hard thats how they determine the scores.  ty for your responses

by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gottalovedrama
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

No, he could still be gifted. My dd took the test, came home and said she prob failed it. She actually scored off the charts. Besides we as mamas are supposed to be bias and think are children are geniuses. :)

iggy297007
by Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:05 PM

he said one of the test he had to read words and he couldnt even pronounce any ove them

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I wouldn't read too much into it and would wait for the results.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting steelcrazy:

I wouldn't read too much into it and would wait for the results.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I wouldn't worry, just wait and see.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:33 PM

I agree with the others, just wait and see.  I will say, however, that gifted testing is different from knowledge testing.  It tests how the child thinks, not what they know per se.  Sometimes parents think that their child is gifted, because they are advanced.  Those two are not necessarily the same.  Either way, just keep challenging him at home and let the chips fall where they may.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 9, 2013 at 6:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Good point below.

Quoting mjande4:

I agree with the others, just wait and see.  I will say, however, that gifted testing is different from knowledge testing.  It tests how the child thinks, not what they know per se.  Sometimes parents think that their child is gifted, because they are advanced.  Those two are not necessarily the same.  Either way, just keep challenging him at home and let the chips fall where they may.

Another thing to consider is that some assessments keep going until the student hits his frustration level, or the tasks are chosen based on the student's level. So gifted kids don't just ace easy tasks to qualify. If the child isn't challenged there's no way to determine his or her IQ. 

But as others have said, I wouldn't worry about it. 

iggy297007
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 7:47 PM

bump

corrinacs
by on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:04 PM

That's fantastic :).  how old is he?

iggy297007
by Member on Jan. 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM

he is 8 and in the third grade

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN