Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This morning's temper tantrum brought to you by...my 6 year old!

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
  • 24 Replies

GRRRR.

My 6 year old has a penchant for tantrums.  Always had - which is rough on us because our older 2 never really tantrumed (yes I know all kids are different) but it is sooo draining.

He's gotten SO much better lately - until this morning.

I swear this kid grew 2 inches over night.  Last week - heck YESTERDAY - his pants fit.  This morning?  Every pair we tried on was highwaters.  So, I dug around all over and found a pair that fits him lengthwise and just needed a belt.

But...

O.M.G.  They're a little...*gasp*...LOOSE!  They're not falling down, they're not riding his hips or showing his underwear, they just feel a little loose.  Which sparked a 35 minute meltdown.

Screaming, stomping, throwing, crying, etc.  I calmly told him that it is HIS job to pack his backpack and brush his teeth and I could see that he hadn't done these things.  If he didn't do it, he'd go to school with stinky breath, no folder or homework, and no shoes (there's snow so he wears boots to school with shoes in the backpack).

I reminded him of this - sometimes loudly - 4 or 5 times in that 35 minute meltdown.

He didn't do it.  So, I made him get his snowpants/coat/boots on (which was a miracle that worked) and we left.  He screamed the ENTIRE way to the bus (we have to drive to the bus stop - weird I know).  I warned the bus driver of his morning, and called his teacher to explain why he didn't have shoes to change into.

And now - at barely 8:00am - I'm exhausted, and sad, and upset.  What a way to start the day.

What would you have done?

(oh - and NO - he has no disabilities, not any spectrums, just an opinionated, strong-willed, emotional kid).

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Truluv4ever
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:29 AM
UGH! That is sooo exhausting!! I would have done about the same thing. I have a 6/almost 7 year old and she doesn't have too many tantrums but she is very emotional and has sensory issues with clothes/shoes and when kids this age are put off boy it makes for a hard way to start the day!! I am puzzled by her sometimes and for advice here too. Good luck~
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:42 AM

IDK, I didn't have to deal with tantrums past the toddler years.  I most likely would have let him wear the pants that were too short for him, especially if I knew that trying on lots of pants would upset him.

mamawolf1103
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:44 AM

My daughter is also 6. She doesn't throw tantrums often but when she does it is always a long horrible ordeal. Wish I could help you stop it, but I know what you are going through. The ones right before school are the worst.

HyperMom38
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I am trying to learn to walk away when my child tantrums and ignore her.  Ignoring her and not getting upset about the way she acts is very empowering because you are not letting your child control you.  If it doesn't end in a reasonable amount of time (10-15 minutes) my new consequence is the loss of all "screens" after school.  Once I mention that (no TV, no mobigo, no dvd's or computer) she usually straightens right up.  Not sure how long this will be effective, but she only lost them once.  Now that she knows I am serious she has been much better behaved.  My kid does have ADD, so tantrums are an ongoing issue for us.  Oh, and it's not like all she does is sit in front of a screen all evening- it's just she loves the time she does have and really doesn't want to lose it.  You just need to find the one thing he loves and use it as the consequence.

Tara922c
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 9:50 AM

My dd is super picky about clothes. She will not wear pants that are too "itchy", too long, too big, ect. I sometimes want to pull my hair out in the morning because trying to get her dressed is a nightmare. We now pick out our clothes at night. I let her choose, even if it is an outfit that I don't really care for. I also started a new rule, if she complains about her clothes in the morning and has a full blown tantrum, she is grounded when she gets home from school. My mornings have been so much smoother since I started making dd pick her clothes at night. DD is 5, btw.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:00 AM

It wasn't the trying on of different pants - he was excited to do that.  It's just that the only pair we found that fit (without digging in the buckets in the basement for the outgrown clothes of his brothers) was that one pair.  There were some in the laundry (washer) and I offered to let him change back into a too short pair - which he refused.

Quoting steelcrazy:

IDK, I didn't have to deal with tantrums past the toddler years.  I most likely would have let him wear the pants that were too short for him, especially if I knew that trying on lots of pants would upset him.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I did inform him that if he kept it up he'd be grounded when he got home - which means he has to stay in his room all night.  They don't get screens during the week anyway, so that wouldn't have done much good - and 'saving' that for the weekend is too much of a delayed punishment in my opinion.

Quoting HyperMom38:

I am trying to learn to walk away when my child tantrums and ignore her.  Ignoring her and not getting upset about the way she acts is very empowering because you are not letting your child control you.  If it doesn't end in a reasonable amount of time (10-15 minutes) my new consequence is the loss of all "screens" after school.  Once I mention that (no TV, no mobigo, no dvd's or computer) she usually straightens right up.  Not sure how long this will be effective, but she only lost them once.  Now that she knows I am serious she has been much better behaved.  My kid does have ADD, so tantrums are an ongoing issue for us.  Oh, and it's not like all she does is sit in front of a screen all evening- it's just she loves the time she does have and really doesn't want to lose it.  You just need to find the one thing he loves and use it as the consequence.

the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:02 AM

We usually lay out clothes at night as well.  Unfortunately, between homework, dinner and scouts last night we didn't do it.  Won't make that mistake again.

Quoting Tara922c:

My dd is super picky about clothes. She will not wear pants that are too "itchy", too long, too big, ect. I sometimes want to pull my hair out in the morning because trying to get her dressed is a nightmare. We now pick out our clothes at night. I let her choose, even if it is an outfit that I don't really care for. I also started a new rule, if she complains about her clothes in the morning and has a full blown tantrum, she is grounded when she gets home from school. My mornings have been so much smoother since I started making dd pick her clothes at night. DD is 5, btw.

Fields456
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I think u handled it great
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I would've handled it the same way.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)