Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Getting kids to sleep on their own

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
  • 5 Replies

How do I get my kids to sleep on their own.  I recently became a single mom and would love to have some time in the evenings to myself but my kids will not go to sleep unless I sit with them until they fall asleep.  They will constantly get out of bed and there are three of them so it's hard to try to get all of them back into bed an do this repeatedly.  Any ideas?

by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Just keep walking them back to their bed every single time that they get up.  Don't talk to them, and don't give them any attention at all.  Just take them by the hand and walk them back to bed.

You can also use a reward chart, if they stay in bed without getting out, they get a sticker.  After so many stickers they get a small prize.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:06 PM
I threaten punishment if i hear them after lights out. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsApple
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Agreed.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Just keep walking them back to their bed every single time that they get up.  Don't talk to them, and don't give them any attention at all.  Just take them by the hand and walk them back to bed.

You can also use a reward chart, if they stay in bed without getting out, they get a sticker.  After so many stickers they get a small prize.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:47 PM

How old are they?  Set up a firm bed time routine for each one.  If needed, stagger their bedtimes so each one can have that one on one time right before they fall asleep.  A firm good night hug and/or kiss, lights off and walk out.   If they get up, you walk them back without saying a word.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 5:50 PM

With my boys I put on a cd of stories or audio book for them at bedtime. The rule is you must stay in bed until the entire cd plays through. If its over and your still awake then you may go to my bed.

They never make it past the first 15mins. If they wake up in the night they are always welcome in my bed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN