Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids
One of my friends is a single mom and going to college. She recently found out she was pregnant again and her bf broke up wih her and wants nothing to do wih the baby. Her mom has been watching her 2.5 yr old while she goes to class but her mom got a new bf and does not want to babysit anymore.

I posted on her Facebook that I don't mind babysitting her son, I'm home anyway. She called and said she can't pay me cause she has no $. I told her I was not wanting her to and I don't mind it. She said she would think about it. If she can't get a sitter she will have to drop out.

I honestly don't mind watching him. When I went to school I found someone who was broke too and we did a babysitting exchange. You watch mine ill watch yours, kwim?

What do you ladies think? Would you watch a friends kid for free?

It's prob 10hrs a week total for 3 classes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I would want to help her out, too.  Sounds like you have a very generous spirit.

If she's just afraid of being a moocher, tell her she can babysit for you (and make sure you have her do so) or do something else to help you.

TurboMom81
by Member on Jan. 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM
I would. Friends help friends.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:11 AM
I agree!

Quoting soymujer:

Isn't that what friends are for?  To help each other out?  I would.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Yes and I have done it before. It doesn't bother me to help a friend in need.

smushy79
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:03 AM

That is a touchy topic because you dont her to abuse your kindness.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I love the barter system.

There is nothing wrong with helping a friend. If she has no money, who else will get to do it?

ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM

That is very kind of you!  I hope your friend takes you up on it but doesn't take advantage.  You should set the expectations up front, including times, etc.  I learned my lesson the hard way...

I was supposed to be picking up one child from school 2 days a week to carpool to practice with my DD.  The bus would get them home too late to make it to practice on time so picking them up gave them time at home to change clothes, get homework done & have a snack.  The other Mom (neighbor) was supposed to be home by the time we got home (she was coming from the opposite direction and I worked just 2 blocks from the school & always pick up my DD) but after a while she started getting home later & later or not at all - just pulling up to my house & beeping her horn if it was her day to drive them to practice.  I ended up not only feeding her child but also tutoring her through all of 3rd grade. I don't mind helping but I did feel taken advantage of by the end of the season.  Lesson learned.  One benefit, I am able to help my DD thru 3rd grade this year!  LOL

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I have done it for friends. But I do still ask everything that Steel said.

And if she feels like she needs to pay you for sitting the child, suggest a few errands she can run after class for you. If possible.
Precious333
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM

of course, thats what friends do.

mamawolf1103
by Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I would as long as she doesn't take advantage. Maybe sometime she will be able to watch yours in exchange. A friend of mine and I do this. I hope it works out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)