Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

One of my friends is a single mom and going to college. She recently found out she was pregnant again and her bf broke up wih her and wants nothing to do wih the baby. Her mom has been watching her 2.5 yr old while she goes to class but her mom got a new bf and does not want to babysit anymore.

I posted on her Facebook that I don't mind babysitting her son, I'm home anyway. She called and said she can't pay me cause she has no $. I told her I was not wanting her to and I don't mind it. She said she would think about it. If she can't get a sitter she will have to drop out.

I honestly don't mind watching him. When I went to school I found someone who was broke too and we did a babysitting exchange. You watch mine ill watch yours, kwim?

What do you ladies think? Would you watch a friends kid for free?

It's prob 10hrs a week total for 3 classes.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
Replies (21-29):
M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:14 PM

For 10 hours a week....of course!

ms-superwoman
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I would, yes. That is what friends are for. A friend of the family watches my son while I go to classes and work. He said he will do it for free but I cannot in good conscious not pay him, so I do.

MsLogansMommy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM

I would absolutely do it for a friend and also cause i know what its like being in that position. The post by steelcrazy is just being realistic it is better to have those questions asked up front than to deal with them later that is where so many fights happen and break up friendships.

I also understand how your friend feels for me if I am paying someone to watch my child then I expect things if they are doing me a favor then its way to iffy for me maybe one day they have something planned and cant watch my kid and how could I get mad about that when they are just doing me a favor and not even getting paid kwim when it is something where you need a definite reliable (not saying you arent) sitter it just feels more secure to pay them (even thought paid sitters flake or get sick to it just feels more concrete). but i love the idea of a babysitter swap you are a good friend and i hope it all works out  

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I'd do it for a friend if I were home. A friend takes my daughter for about 45 minutes several times a week before the bus comes. When she needs someone to watch her daughter on half days, DH watches her. Friends help friends.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 1:19 PM

When I was a new mom, a friend helped us out this way- it was a blessing, and I would gladly return the favor...

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:53 PM

Sure why not, if you don't mind helping her out. But she should definitely get a paternity test done b/c her bf that walked out on her will still have to pay her child support, even if he wants nothing to do w/his baby. (slimeball)

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:32 AM
I would however i would set clear guidelines because anytime something businesslike involves a friend you can strain the relationship. You have done Home care in the past so i would treat it the same, even though a friend for free. Clear rules on both sides, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tel4him
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:03 AM

I totally would.  That's what friends do.  They help each other.  I would be careful though, that it didn't turn into more and I had her kid all the time. 

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:13 AM

I had a "friend" that was like that, turns out she wasn't really my friend, not sure what she was getting out of talking to me and hanging around me...but whatever.

My REAL friends I offer something, they accept. I might get a "are you sure you don't mind?" but that's it.

I would absolutely watch a friends kid, I've done it before. I watched a friend's 3 kids after school 3 days a week. They came over, did homework, hung out for a couple hours. I didn't mind, my kids loved it. 

Quoting tiffs2009:

That's what I thought. She acted like it was too much

Quoting soymujer:

Isn't that what friends are for?  To help each other out?  I would.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)