Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

teachers complaints about parents

Posted by   + Show Post

my intention for this question is because I absolutely love my dd teacher and want to make sure im not doing anything unknowingly irritating to her kwim but here is the question:

Other than the obvious stuff like parents who think their kid can do no wrong (this would not be me cause I know who my kid is lol) and the parents that are completely uninvolved in their childs education, what are things that parents do that are irritating to teachers?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Not returning phone calls, or letters to the teacher or attending parent teacher conferences is another one that is bothers a few teachers I know. Or just not bothering to be involved with what is happening education wise with your child and the teacher.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I do not think that was the point. I think certain situations the teacher welcomes "suggestions" that is not telling her how to do her job.

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting soymujer:

As a teacher, telling us what we're doing wrong...if you can do so much better, then why aren't you?!

Since my son has ADHD, and I know what makes him click, you wouldn't want suggestions on how to deal with him when he is having a outburst? I would think that would be helpful in the classroom to keep his attention to the education you are providing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:30 AM
1 mom liked this

There is a  difference (and it's huge) between saying, "My child has these needs, and here is the best way I've found to cope with them..." and "You suck, you need to do this, this, and this...." I've been on the receiving end of both, and let me tell you, I completely welcome the former, while the latter starts off so antagonistically that it is incredibly difficult to move beyond the criticism. 

A teacher is a person, just like you. Sometimes they need assistance in figuring out your child, but they are, at the end of the day, a person. People often forget that. At the end of the day, that would honestly be my biggest complaint.  

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

tell them how to do their job

I got my girls' teachers ceramic to go mugs as part of their Christmas gift, they both loved it. My youngest's teacher made a point of telling me how much better she likes ceramic togo mugs over plastic or metal. I think teachers hate the regular mugs that say stuff like "A+ Teacher!" I got a normal to go cup figuring if she had 900 she could easily re-gift that, but she's used it every day since...so I'm guessing it was okay. LOL. 

I do agree on telling them how to do their job, that irritates EVERYONE.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Not keeping the teacher informed of things going on in your kid's life. Don't life story the poor teacher to death (that's also annoying) but if you KNOW your child has an appt on Thursday at 9am, tell the teacher a couple days prior, that way she/he can send home your kid's work early for them to do, rather than just ignoring it, or your kid doing it during recess (when I'm sure the teacher has better things to be doing).

In my personal case, since DH is in the military, I tell the teacher if he's about to leave. Expect a train wreck, dad is leaving on this day, for this long. They appreciate knowing that your kid might be an emotional wreck for a couple days.

Sending your kid to school sick, or sending them back too soon. This annoys teachers and every parent on the planet. If your kid doesn't ever cough or sneeze or have a runny nose ALL YEAR and then magically during cold/flu season he/she is hacking up a lung and has a nose leaking like a faucet don't say "oh it's allergies" no it isn't, your kid is sick and that's rude.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Oh and don't say your kid is allergic to something and then turn around and send it in with them in their lunch/snack.

There was a mom in my youngest's K class that made this big old hairy deal that HER daughter was allergic to cinnamon, DEATHLY allergic to cinnamon, no cinnamon ever!!! and then would send her kid with cinnamon graham crackers in her lunch or cinnamon applesauce. The teacher would then have to call mom and go "uhm...you sent in your kid with cinnamon crackers in her lunch, I thought she had a cinnamon allergy?????" Then mom goes "oh it's fine, she can have it" but if another mom brought in a snack for the whole class that had a teeny tiny amount of cinnamon in the ingredients, mom flips the f*** out.  Everyone rejoiced when she moved.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:08 AM
2 moms liked this

You really hit the two big ones already. 

The only other thing I can think of that can be an issue with a parent who is involved is not being considerate of the teacher's time. Some parents will drop by to chat or call frequently to discuss day to day issues. This is especially frustrating when parents stop by during class time. I'm talking about he moms who drop their kids off and want to hang out with the teacher for a couple of minutes. The second my students step in the door I am focused on them. It might not seem like I have anything important to do, but greeting each child as they come in sets the tone for the whole day. I've to tell many parents I can't talk and I know I've offended some who are used to teachers being doormat like. But I am there for the kids, not to make the parents feel good. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

tell them how to do their job

I got my girls' teachers ceramic to go mugs as part of their Christmas gift, they both loved it. My youngest's teacher made a point of telling me how much better she likes ceramic togo mugs over plastic or metal. I think teachers hate the regular mugs that say stuff like "A+ Teacher!" I got a normal to go cup figuring if she had 900 she could easily re-gift that, but she's used it every day since...so I'm guessing it was okay. LOL. 

I do agree on telling them how to do their job, that irritates EVERYONE.

I hate to tell you this... she might have told you that she likes ceramic mugs better and they might have acted like they loved them. But really how would you expect them to act?

It's not that teachers are mug haters. It's just something we get all the time. I actually got nine mugs for Christmas one year. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Not returning phone calls, or letters to the teacher or attending parent teacher conferences is another one that is bothers a few teachers I know. Or just not bothering to be involved with what is happening education wise with your child and the teacher.

Not showing up or showing up late is definitely an nuisance. 

We're not a like a doctor's office that just runs appointments all day. We took time to prepare for the conference and probably either came in early or stayed late to talk to you. So when parent stroll in 15 minutes late and don't say anything it's so rude. And you'd be surprised how many people just don't show up. If something comes up why not call?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momma1708:

Teachers really don't like coffee mugs?! Man, my mom did that for our teachers every year... she inculded other stuff like gift cards and some sort of sweet treats or something...... man...... now I know what not to get my DS's teacher when he starts Kindergarten next year...... Kind of bummed about this. 

LOL

Dont' be bummed!

We just get lots of them. Several times I've brought whole boxes of mugs to Good Will. How many mugs can one person use?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)