Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teachers complaints about parents

Posted by   + Show Post

my intention for this question is because I absolutely love my dd teacher and want to make sure im not doing anything unknowingly irritating to her kwim but here is the question:

Other than the obvious stuff like parents who think their kid can do no wrong (this would not be me cause I know who my kid is lol) and the parents that are completely uninvolved in their childs education, what are things that parents do that are irritating to teachers?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Replies (21-30):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Quoting kmrtigger:

Quoting soymujer:

As a teacher, telling us what we're doing wrong...if you can do so much better, then why aren't you?!

Since my son has ADHD, and I know what makes him click, you wouldn't want suggestions on how to deal with him when he is having a outburst? I would think that would be helpful in the classroom to keep his attention to the education you are providing.

Parents giving me insight into their child doesn't bother me at all. The first thing I ask parents when a child is struggling is if they have any suggestions of what I can do in class. 

There's a rude way to say it. But I can't recall ever having a parent tell me how to teach. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
2 moms liked this

My biggest complaint is a parent thinking/acting like their child is the most important student in the room.  Along with this, them thinking/insisting that the child is smarter/advanced then they really are. 

Kathy489
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

I was always bothered by the parent who would show up at my door, unannounced, and expect me to drop everything so I could let her know how her daughter did on the reading test or whatever. Sorry, but would you walk into your doctor's office to ask about your last lab results? Teachers have a roomful of kids, and they can't just drop everything. Not to mention, with all the latest security issues in the schools, parents are not allowed to walk the halls anymore without going through security and getting a pass, although some of them still find their way around it somehow.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

tell them how to do their job

I got my girls' teachers ceramic to go mugs as part of their Christmas gift, they both loved it. My youngest's teacher made a point of telling me how much better she likes ceramic togo mugs over plastic or metal. I think teachers hate the regular mugs that say stuff like "A+ Teacher!" I got a normal to go cup figuring if she had 900 she could easily re-gift that, but she's used it every day since...so I'm guessing it was okay. LOL. 

I do agree on telling them how to do their job, that irritates EVERYONE.

I hate to tell you this... she might have told you that she likes ceramic mugs better and they might have acted like they loved them. But really how would you expect them to act?

It's not that teachers are mug haters. It's just something we get all the time. I actually got nine mugs for Christmas one year. 

I don't see why she'd lie about it, she's honest all other times, I'd find it HIGHLY alarming if a teacher lied to that extent about something, if she hated it and didn't want to "hurt my feelers" she could have said thank you and left it at that, I didn't demand to know that it was being used and loved and cherished. I even said when I gave it to them that I know teachers get a lot of mugs so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it got re-gifted. So yeah...not thinking they were lying, but okay.

Also, she's used it EVERY DAY, that's a lot of work if she's just "trying to be nice" don't you think? I don't know about my oldest's teacher, but I see the other one EVERY DAY, I walk my daughter to class and ask if she needs any copies made that morning. 

It's possible to like something that other teachers hate (and vice versa). Most teachers LOVE the Lexile system, the librarian at my youngest's school thinks it's the stupidest thing ever invented. 

kngarber
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM
Lol. My neighbor is a teacher and she loves them. Especially the handmade ones. We did a WoodWick candle bc I just can't imagine anyone not liking them. But just incase I threw the gift receipt in there :)

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM
2 moms liked this

LOL You are killing me with the "mug defense".  I agree with Max, the teacher was probably just being polite.  Of course she's using it at school, because she has 30 more at home and probably 20 more in a cabinet in her room.  Relax.  It was a nice thought, but as others have mentioned it can get out of hand. 

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

I got my girls' teachers ceramic to go mugs as part of their Christmas gift, they both loved it. My youngest's teacher made a point of telling me how much better she likes ceramic togo mugs over plastic or metal. I think teachers hate the regular mugs that say stuff like "A+ Teacher!" I got a normal to go cup figuring if she had 900 she could easily re-gift that, but she's used it every day since...so I'm guessing it was okay. LOL. 

I hate to tell you this... she might have told you that she likes ceramic mugs better and they might have acted like they loved them. But really how would you expect them to act?

It's not that teachers are mug haters. It's just something we get all the time. I actually got nine mugs for Christmas one year. 

I don't see why she'd lie about it, she's honest all other times, I'd find it HIGHLY alarming if a teacher lied to that extent about something, if she hated it and didn't want to "hurt my feelers" she could have said thank you and left it at that, I didn't demand to know that it was being used and loved and cherished. I even said when I gave it to them that I know teachers get a lot of mugs so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if it got re-gifted. So yeah...not thinking they were lying, but okay.

Also, she's used it EVERY DAY, that's a lot of work if she's just "trying to be nice" don't you think? I don't know about my oldest's teacher, but I see the other one EVERY DAY, I walk my daughter to class and ask if she needs any copies made that morning. 

It's possible to like something that other teachers hate (and vice versa). Most teachers LOVE the Lexile system, the librarian at my youngest's school thinks it's the stupidest thing ever invented. 

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Has she been teaching twenty years? I haven't found one teacher who wants a mug or #1 teacher stuff, I stick to gift baskets of treats they like or a gift card they frequent.

Quoting kngarber:

Lol. My neighbor is a teacher and she loves them. Especially the handmade ones. We did a WoodWick candle bc I just can't imagine anyone not liking them. But just incase I threw the gift receipt in there :)

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

CafeMom Tickers
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

Obviously I don't know that teacher or how she feels about that specific mug. 

I'm just saying every student who has ever given me a gift knows that I loved it. I did because it was given to me by people I care about.  That doesn't mean the object itself is something I treasure. I've worn many a hideous necklace and displayed a wide variety of nick knacks I wouldn't never buy.

mom2jessnky
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

I'm not defending the mug, I'm saying I'd be alarmed if someone went out of their way to over the top lie about something like that. If you lie about dumb small things, what else are you lying about? KWIM?

Get gift you hate, say thank you. Okay, I can take that however I want, and it's not lying, I'm sure teachers are grateful for any gift because it says "Hey I recognize you have my punk kid for 7+hours a day and I appreciate that you haven't killed him/her"

But to stop the mom, and personally talk about the gift, when you really hate it? Wouldn't that strike you as SUPER odd? Also if you do that, won't that TOTALLY back fire on you? OH she freaking LOVES ugly green sweaters, I'm getting her an ugly green sweater at every opportunity.

I've casually mentioned liking something to my MIL and she takes that to mean I'm obsessed with it, and need anything even slightly pertaining to it. So I KNOW that doing that accidentally can backfire. I'd be REALLY careful about the butthole fluffing, if you hate your gift, you might end up with ugly green sweater wallpaper.

Quoting mjande4:

LOL You are killing me with the "mug defense".  I agree with Max, the teacher was probably just being polite.  Of course she's using it at school, because she has 30 more at home and probably 20 more in a cabinet in her room.  Relax.  It was a nice thought, but as others have mentioned it can get out of hand. 

SweetPea2004
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Yes it can imagine you get 5-10 mugs and homemade crafts a year that is roughly 100-200 items in 20 years. My s/o mom is a retired teacher she HATED that stuff but she is very polite. I know every teacher is different I am just saying what I've heard.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting mom2jessnky:

Quoting SweetPea2004:

Buy them coffee mugs...

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)