Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

teachers complaints about parents

Posted by   + Show Post

my intention for this question is because I absolutely love my dd teacher and want to make sure im not doing anything unknowingly irritating to her kwim but here is the question:

Other than the obvious stuff like parents who think their kid can do no wrong (this would not be me cause I know who my kid is lol) and the parents that are completely uninvolved in their childs education, what are things that parents do that are irritating to teachers?

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Replies (61-69):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:20 PM
1 mom liked this
I just want parents to give a damn and be involved in their child's education. I feel so bad for students with NO home support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzymom80
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 8:14 PM
I teach pre-k but one of my big concerns is parents staying aware of their actions and words in front of their children. Kids have big ears and remember everything. I know more about my pre-k kids' parents marital issues and personal lives than I should know. One girl told me about daddy's friend that Mommy doesn't know about. Another told me about the pictures of Mommy from a recent party she attended where Mommy took of her dress and danced on the table. Another told me about how she hoped that when Mommy and Daddy got married, they would stop fighting but how they fight more.
Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:02 PM
Thats sad, poor kids. I wonder what my son tells his teacher.

Quoting lizzymom80:

I teach pre-k but one of my big concerns is parents staying aware of their actions and words in front of their children. Kids have big ears and remember everything. I know more about my pre-k kids' parents marital issues and personal lives than I should know. One girl told me about daddy's friend that Mommy doesn't know about. Another told me about the pictures of Mommy from a recent party she attended where Mommy took of her dress and danced on the table. Another told me about how she hoped that when Mommy and Daddy got married, they would stop fighting but how they fight more.
STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL... my kid has 16 in his kindergarten class.  Imagine if just 1/4 of the kids got the teacher a #1 teacher coffee mug for Christmas... thats 4 new mugs every year...

Quoting momma1708:

Teachers really don't like coffee mugs?! Man, my mom did that for our teachers every year... she inculded other stuff like gift cards and some sort of sweet treats or something...... man...... now I know what not to get my DS's teacher when he starts Kindergarten next year...... Kind of bummed about this. 

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

You are the kind of teacher I love. 

Ignore me all you want, as long as my son is what's important. 

Meaning all the kids. 

My son's ped is like that at times. When he was taking out the stitch that was in my son's foot, he ignored me completely and focused on my son until he was done, then he spoke to me. After praising my son, of course.

Because of focusing on my son, there were no tears, no meltdowns. My son paid attention to his doctor watching everything he was doing and listening to what he was saying.  I can only assume he is like that with all of the kids that he takes care of. That it wasn't specifically because my son is autistic. 

Either way my son likes him. 

I've asked my son's preschool teacher if there was anything that we could do at home, that we weren't already doing that would help our son. I've gotten many suggestions. I feel that it's important for me to be on the same page as his teacher. It helps to keep things consistent. I've also sent in a note letting her know what we do at home with him. Meaning new things. It helps her to know how he is progressing. 

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

You really hit the two big ones already. 

The only other thing I can think of that can be an issue with a parent who is involved is not being considerate of the teacher's time. Some parents will drop by to chat or call frequently to discuss day to day issues. This is especially frustrating when parents stop by during class time. I'm talking about he moms who drop their kids off and want to hang out with the teacher for a couple of minutes. The second my students step in the door I am focused on them. It might not seem like I have anything important to do, but greeting each child as they come in sets the tone for the whole day. I've to tell many parents I can't talk and I know I've offended some who are used to teachers being doormat like. But I am there for the kids, not to make the parents feel good. 

noel1978
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 9:31 AM

right now it's trying to get the kids into the dr. for some reason my oldest daydreams in class she does her homework but doesn't remember to turn it in until three weeks after it's due. 

we just switched drs and she sees him tomorror. the teacher nor i can wait.

Jazmyn1
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I know Im an annoying mother and I will jusy say you can be too involved lol
zoo003
by Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Off subject, but since some are talking about the teacher mugs that some give, how do teachers feel about plants?  I usually get a pretty potted plant for my kids to give their teachers.  Nothing huge, but pretty.  How would you feel about that?  I have always wondered.  They always seem appreciative of it, but I don't know if it is just them being kind.  

*Also, I have a lot of respect for teachers.  Even though I taught in a max. security prison, I don't know if I could teach within a classroom.  At least if my students gave me problems, I could daily (or program) fail them and/or give them a cell-in for up to 72 hours.   

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 3:42 PM
Well considering my son told me the pe teacher hung him by a rope above the basketball hoop so he could catch balls and drop them in I would not trust everything a child says!!! Lol

Quoting lizzymom80:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN