Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I have a 7yr old ds(almost 8) that is having an issue with eating in front of the kids at school, he has been like this since the middle of pre-k and i dont know what to do to help him eat at school. if the teacher lets him eat behind the cubby then he is fine but other than that he will starve himself till he gets home and try to eat everything in sight!

when we go out to eat he doesnt have any issue eating at all! I am trying to get him to understand that as he gets higher in grades that other teachers may feel he is too old to be getting special provisions just to eat lunch, I guess I just want to know if any of you other moms have experienced this and how did you handle it? do you think I am enabling him by asking his teacher to let him eat behind the cubby?

sorry so long!

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 4:16 PM
Replies (11-18):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Yeh, that's not normal and I am actually surprised that he's gotten away with it for this long.  You are right in thinking that the next teacher will not allow him to eat away from his peers.  I agree with the others, he needs counseling.  It's probably nothing serious, but it definitely is impeding his social skills.  The other kids have surely noticed and that can't be good either.  Good luck.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:09 AM
I agree.

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would have him talk to the school counselor, this sounds like a form of anxiety.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommieT
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:41 PM

i would do this also, to hold him over it would have to be something that isnt light, like cereal maybe a muffin or half a waffle  or something depending on how long he is in school, i would think if he is eating alone behind the cubby the kids might make fun of him and make things worse.

Quoting aetrom:

Another thing i would do is give him a big breakfast. Many times when we do My kids get hungry around 2-3?

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:45 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

I would have him talk to the school counselor, this sounds like a form of anxiety.

I was thinking it could be that too. 

Either it's a real anxiety problem and needs to be addressed. Or he's just exerting control by refusing to eat. 

Either way, eating in the cubby isn't going to help the situation. And you're right, at some point he will need to eat with the other kids. The longer he eats by himself that harder that's going to be. 

Ihatelaundry
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I have never had to deal with something like this but if I had I would take him to therapy and figure out what happened that made his so insecure about eating in front of kids at school. Maybe he was traumatized. maybe it is something insignificant to him but has stuck in his subconscious or something big he has tried to forget. All I know is I would be concerned just like you and if I wasn't able to help him I would find someone who will. This could be detrimental if gone without finding the core reason. Good luck! Keep your chin up and keep trying to help. 

janitablue
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:30 PM

I agreed with comments in the post . The best way is to resolve whatever issues he has and hopeful get the help he needs you can take steps in helping eat in the lunchroom . 

ourluvalwayz
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:05 PM

thank you ladies! im going to the school and talk with his counselor this week. like i said he does great any other time in any other place even when he goes to his friends house he is perfecly fine but in the lunchroom its something else. and before he leaves for school i always feed him a good breakfast.

SueMNanaMama
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Maybe some kids have made fun of the way he eats.  Sounds like bullying, maybe?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)