Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

ADD--WWYD

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM
  • 21 Replies
So we found out today that our youngest DS has ADD. The doctor is leaving it up to us to medicate or not. I'm torn because I I want to use it as a last result but I'm not sure the behaviour modifications he mentioned will work and how would we do that at school? So I'm asking you mothers who have kids with ADD, what would you suggest? If purely behaviour modifications, what exactly?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 7:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:21 PM

I have no experience but wish you the best of luck.   The teachers may have training already in the add area and the child may need an IEP set in place for behavior help like an aide to keep them on track.

RLSMOM59
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:34 PM

I guess I am not understanding. If the doctor recommended or mentioned behaviour mod techniques why are you so reluctant to try them? Do they put you child in harms way? Does it require you take time away from what you need to do? Does it cost major money? I'm just confused. You will never know if it will work if you don't try. To me it's like going to the doctor because you're sick, get a prescription, fill it and not take it because you don't know if you're going to get better or not. Sorry to be blunt but that's just me.

Idntreallycare
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:40 PM
A lot of people have had success with diet change. I've heard that red dye can aggravate a lot of issues, but taking out a lot of artific ingredients can't hurt
OHgirlinCA
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Make sure he has alot of structure. Request a 504 plan from his school. Find some extracurricular activities that peak his interests.

I tried many, many things before medication, and the medication has made a profound difference for my son. He was diagnosed at 12. He went from getting D's and F's to
having all A's and B's. He went from having no friends to having a group of friends. His self esteem is great now that he knows he isn't a moron as his past school performance made him feel like.

The medication is recommended for a reason. I had a doctor explain it's like someone needing glasses. Without out them, you can't focus to see. Without the medication, ADHD kids' brains can't focus.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:52 PM

I have tried a couple of the things he mentioned and not work.  And how will the teachers handle it?  At home me, I have four kids but with the other three being so much older, I can focus more on him.  A teacher has 20 to 25 students, just how can she utilize the mods?  I'm asking for opinions and suggestions as this is new to me.  I don't want my child to be a zombie and I don't have money to waste on a prescription and it not work nor get the results I would like to see.

Quoting RLSMOM59:

I guess I am not understanding. If the doctor recommended or mentioned behaviour mod techniques why are you so reluctant to try them? Do they put you child in harms way? Does it require you take time away from what you need to do? Does it cost major money? I'm just confused. You will never know if it will work if you don't try. To me it's like going to the doctor because you're sick, get a prescription, fill it and not take it because you don't know if you're going to get better or not. Sorry to be blunt but that's just me.

family in the van   Mom of four

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:09 PM

How long did you try the mods before determining that they "don't work"?  Have you bothered to meet with his teacher to discuss his ADD and ways to handle it?

AmyL3469
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:33 PM

For me, it'd depend on the age of my children and how many opinions. I wouldn't go medicating at 2 years old based on one opinion. I won't medicate my children until schoolage, 5-6 if it was the ABSOLUTE last option. I'm against medication, for myself and children, but I wouldn't want to prevent them from reaching their full potential. My doctor suggested ADHD for my 2 year old and I think it's crap. She's being a kid at this point..

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:53 PM

He already has an IEP, we'll just have to adjust it.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I have no experience but wish you the best of luck.   The teachers may have training already in the add area and the child may need an IEP set in place for behavior help like an aide to keep them on track.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

The ones we tried for months and we didn't even know they were mods for ADD since we just got the diagnosis today.  With that being said, I'm going to email the teacher to set up a meeting.

Quoting steelcrazy:

How long did you try the mods before determining that they "don't work"?  Have you bothered to meet with his teacher to discuss his ADD and ways to handle it?

banana-bear
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM
My daughter showed great improvement with a clean, organic diet (no artificial dyes, flavors, preservatives, MSG, HFCS, etc.) and the addition of caffeine daily, through chocolate covered espresso beans. From there, I just worked with her on her behaviors. I would never medicate for ADHD. Ever.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)