Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How does your 8 yr old (or 7/9) yr old act? 
I don't think mine is to bad, hes a boy.
He is rough, but not trying to beat people up when playing. He loves to run, and has a big imagination. He likes to pretend he is a cop/soldier/ someone that shoots others -- but never shoots at his brothers (we put a stop to that a long while ago)

He doesn't like to sit down, but he will when needed lol

He got in trouble on the bus because the driver said his gun noises were to realistic, and it scared her really bad.. I have never heard him make a 'real gun noise' other than "pow" "boom" etc.

Just wanted to see if this is all regular boys behavior?!  

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Funny, but OP obviously thought that your post sounded like you were saying that she needs to punish her child more and quit blaming it on him "being a boy".  Did you bother to even read her reply after yours?

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sorry. I was referring to my post, not OP.   I have 2 daughters and 4 sons. It says that in my original post.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I can read.

First sentence - How does your 8 yr old (or 7/9) yr old act? 

Last sentence - Just wanted to see if this is all regular boys behavior?!  

I also read everything in between and don't see anything that I'd punish over.  I'm guessing that you have girls, don't you?  They really are different creatures.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

So you didn't read the first and last sentences?

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm just curious what exactly the boy in the OP should be punished for.  He's done nothing wrong that I have read. *shrug*  Don't put your ILs bad parenting off on someone else.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sounds normal.

I had a BIL and SIL who would always say "He's a boy" when their son acted out. He could do any damn thing he wanted and never suffer the consequences. It was always someones elses fault. Now he is 21 yo and reaping what his parents sowed. Seems the legal system doesn't go for the "He's a boy" plea.                          SOOOO, Yes, he's a boy but he should be held up to he same standards as a girl..

Sorry for the lecture.  You probably don't act like them with your son. It's just one of those things that annoy me. ( I have 2 DD and 4 DS)

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:36 PM

I did not go back into other responses and since she did not quote me I did not see it in My Activities. I don't sit and wait to see if my post is responded to, I go read other posts.

Since I started my post with "sounds normal" and finished it with "Sorry for the lecture. You probably don't act like them with your son. It's just one of those thing that annoy me" I had thought I had made clear I wasn't attacking her but just relating a story in my life.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Funny, but OP obviously thought that your post sounded like you were saying that she needs to punish her child more and quit blaming it on him "being a boy".  Did you bother to even read her reply after yours?

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sorry. I was referring to my post, not OP.   I have 2 daughters and 4 sons. It says that in my original post.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I can read.

I also read everything in between and don't see anything that I'd punish over.  I'm guessing that you have girls, don't you?  They really are different creatures.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

I'm just curious what exactly the boy in the OP should be punished for.  He's done nothing wrong that I have read. *shrug*  Don't put your ILs bad parenting off on someone else.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sounds normal.

I had a BIL and SIL who would always say "He's a boy" when their son acted out. He could do any damn thing he wanted and never suffer the consequences. It was always someones elses fault. Now he is 21 yo and reaping what his parents sowed. Seems the legal system doesn't go for the "He's a boy" plea.                          SOOOO, Yes, he's a boy but he should be held up to he same standards as a girl..

Sorry for the lecture.  You probably don't act like them with your son. It's just one of those things that annoy me. ( I have 2 DD and 4 DS)

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:40 PM

So sorry to quote your reply and let you know that you came off as judgmental.  Next time, I will let your judgementalness go and chalk it up to you attempting to be helpful and relating a life story.  *shrugs*

BTW - it is nice to go back an reread a post after replying since people aren't always nice enough to quote you like I am.  I hope that you've gone back and read her reply.  I feel that is the least that you can do.  I realize that you are semi-new to CM and may not be aware of this.

PS - this group doesn't work like the drama groups, Confessions for example.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

I did not go back into other responses and since she did not quote me I did not see it in My Activities. I don't sit and wait to see if my post is responded to, I go read other posts.

Since I started my post with "sounds normal" and finished it with "Sorry for the lecture. You probably don't act like them with your son. It's just one of those thing that annoy me" I had thought I had made clear I wasn't attacking her but just relating a story in my life.

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I can read.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sounds normal.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:43 PM
2 moms liked this

My 8 year old almost 9 year old is always "shooting" everything! I never understood those moms who were like we don't allow toy guns in the house cuz with my son he turns everything into a gun a stick, a block, legos, his hand just any thing he can play with turns into a gun for him. I am sure this is a normal thing with boys and I would not worry about it.

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 11, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Sounds like pretty normal behavior.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:03 PM

Since verbal inflections and facial expressions are missing in this type of communication it is natural that misunderstandings occur. In my first post I ended with stating my childrens genders. Perhaps that was unclear because you guessed I had girls.  I also assumed if a person was directly responding to another persons' post it would be quoted. There are times a person might need to step away from the computer and someone else closes the page or turns it off so the conversation may be stilted. I have been corrected and it is duly noted.

Quoting steelcrazy:

So sorry to quote your reply and let you know that you came off as judgmental.  Next time, I will let your judgementalness go and chalk it up to you attempting to be helpful and relating a life story.  *shrugs*

BTW - it is nice to go back an reread a post after replying since people aren't always nice enough to quote you like I am.  I hope that you've gone back and read her reply.  I feel that is the least that you can do.  I realize that you are semi-new to CM and may not be aware of this.

PS - this group doesn't work like the drama groups, Confessions for example.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Yep, I can read.

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Quoting TexanMomOf6:

Sounds normal.

TexanMomOf6
by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:21 PM

Quoting 3boysmommaNY:

Of coarse! I do say "hes a boy" at times...Mostly with their games. But I never let their action games get to where they are killing each other and such. Granted we used to play like that when we were little, BUT things these days are a lot more sensitive so I can't let him do that. 
Any gun or bow/arrow shooting is always at a wall, floor, ceiling, fake animal (if they are playing hunters). Guns are talked about a lot in our house since DH is in the Army.
We have high expectations when it comes to respect for others with actions, manners, and words. We let them do their thing, but at the same time, if any wrong doings happen, they know they have to apologize right away. 

It sounds like you are doing things correctly. It seems I was not clear in my post since I inspired the ire of another mom.  I wasn't saying you needed to punish him. I said it sounds normal. I related a story. I clarified that I wasn't saying you did it. I added I have 2DD and 4DS. It seems I need to learn to communicate better?

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Yes, it's normal, just teach him when it's appropriate. Tell him he can play guns at home, but he may not play or talk abou guns on the bus or at school.

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Sounds just like my 9 year old.

Babujai
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM
Sounds normal. My boys fill the car with the noise of gunfire and explosions every morning on the way to day-care. I'm used to it. You'd think a bus driver would be used to the sounds boys make, but you never know.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)