Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Honestly my son is in 3rd grade I am pretty sure when it takes my husband and I an hour or more to figure out one math problem something is wrong!! Am I the only person who has trouble helping their kids with homework?

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (11-20):
kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I wish they would send us home a book to look through!! We just get a worksheet with no instructions at all. Math has never been my strong suite so I am really bad at it. My son isn't the best at comprehending what is going on in class either so he can't try to explain to me what they are learning. I have spoke with the teacher about it and she tells me...well, he should get it by now! Well, he doesn't and neither do I so her response is unhelpful!!

Quoting kmrtigger:

Usually if we are having an issue with the math homework, we pull out the book and re-read the chapter they are on. Usually that helps. If not we look up on the computer how to do the problem(a similar one) and go from there.

IF we are still stuck, we skip it and continue on with the next one. Or we attach a note explaining that we were having issues with the homework. Usually the teacher will take a few moments to help them with it before class or just go over it with the entire class.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:56 AM

They made us parents go to a class at the begining of the school year to learn how to do the homework!!

Quoting steelcrazy:

I have a 3rd grader and a 6th grader.  I've never had a problem helping them with homework and can't imagine spending an hour on one math problem.  Third grade math isn't anything crazy, at least not around here.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM

that must be nice! :)

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I teach third grade math, so I don't really have trouble explaining things to DS (who is also in third grade.).

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:58 AM

Is he allowed to bring the book home? If so have him to bring it home each night when he has homework in Math. Can you request after school or before school tutoring for him? Or hire a tutor?

Quoting kcgroves:

Yes, I wish they would send us home a book to look through!! We just get a worksheet with no instructions at all. Math has never been my strong suite so I am really bad at it. My son isn't the best at comprehending what is going on in class either so he can't try to explain to me what they are learning. I have spoke with the teacher about it and she tells me...well, he should get it by now! Well, he doesn't and neither do I so her response is unhelpful!!

Quoting kmrtigger:

Usually if we are having an issue with the math homework, we pull out the book and re-read the chapter they are on. Usually that helps. If not we look up on the computer how to do the problem(a similar one) and go from there.

IF we are still stuck, we skip it and continue on with the next one. Or we attach a note explaining that we were having issues with the homework. Usually the teacher will take a few moments to help them with it before class or just go over it with the entire class.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:02 AM

She won't send home a book...I have tried. I do have him signed up for after school tutoring so am really hoping that helps some. I tried to get him into it at the begining of school, but they were all full so I jumped on it after Christmas break with the new slots!!!

chinosruca
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:35 AM
I had one problem with 1 worksheet her teacher sent home in 4th grade. I am pretty good at math.....got A's in high school and college.....so I was suprised it was so hard.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Emeraldmama7
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:10 AM

My 3rd and 5th grader do math very differently than what dh and I were taught.  It helps to go on the internet and look up the new methods.  I'm lucky that my mom is a teacher and can help me through the "new ways" of math. I got my degree in early childhood and elementary education (although I haven't taught since my oldest was born 11 years ago) and a lot of their homework is new to me!

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:27 AM

I really honestly didn't mean that in a snarky/snotty way! Up until fifth grade, I'm probably gold - anywhere past that I'll probably be in trouble. I'll check back in with you in a few years! 

steffielou_who
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:58 AM
Dh is a teacher so we don't have many problems!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2jessnky
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:52 AM

I've had issues with my 4th grader's homework. Not because it's HARD, but rather my kid is under the impression that the ONLY right way to do a problem is exactly how her teacher explained... problem there is the kid can't seem to explain to me how it was explained (without making it sound all crazy & jacked up) and then argues with me. I'm REALLY good at math and I passed 4th grade, I think I can handle some long division.

The one that really got me (and her) was this division thing where you did compatible numbers to estimate the answers.

First problem was 430 divided by 9, use rounding or a compatible# to estimate. I said "Okay that's easy 450 divided by 9" meltdown ensues. kid "YOU CAN'T ROUND LIKE THAT BECAUSE OF THE 3!!!!" I'm not rounding...I'm using a compatible number... We never did this crap when I was in 4th grade, back in my day you would have done long division with remainders. My arguement is also if we're getting the wrong answer ANYWAY and estimating does it really MATTER if I "round correctly" an hour of her arguing and wailing, I ranted on FB and had one of my old teachers from high school explain it to her (I was right, I'd just like to point that out). She finally did the damn assignment but had this weird anxiety that she was going to fail and get in trouble over it. What if her answers weren't the same as her teacher. YOU'RE ESTIMATING, it doesn't matter!!

So it's not that it's hard it's that my kid is a train wreck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN