Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Honestly my son is in 3rd grade I am pretty sure when it takes my husband and I an hour or more to figure out one math problem something is wrong!! Am I the only person who has trouble helping their kids with homework?

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (21-30):
mommy06and09
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:32 AM
was the answer 9x2 and 9x5? if not im in trouble... the only other thing i can come up with is 9x7... hmmm maybe i should pull ds out now while i still understand his homework. lol. jk!

Quoting kcgroves:

Quoting mommy06and09:

by the way what was the math problem you were stuck on? im generally good at math. lets see if im ready to help a 3rd grader.

Ok, one of the problems I can't remember so that sucks the other one though I took a pic of it so I could send it to my sister who home schools for help. Here it is...what multiplication fact can you figure by using the array of 2x9 and 5x9?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

dd is in 2nd and never has homework unless she has to miss a day..No trouble with her homework yet...She is on money counting

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Maybe you can ask if there is a way to access the book online. Ds2 (3rd gr) and dd (1st gr) are both using those Everyday Math books, and their teachers gave us info to access them online if we get stuck helping them- and I've been very glad a couple of times w/ ds2's homework, simply b/c different terms were being used that what I was used to.

Quoting kcgroves:

She won't send home a book...I have tried. I do have him signed up for after school tutoring so am really hoping that helps some. I tried to get him into it at the begining of school, but they were all full so I jumped on it after Christmas break with the new slots!!!

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Hubby and I don't help our kids with their homework.  It's their responsibility to understand and to complete it.  Should they have an issue and we are unable to solve it together then they bring it up to the teacher's attention.  We have not had any issues with our kids asking their teachers for help.  Knock on wood.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:22 PM

What kind of math book are they using? If the teacher won't provide you with a book, you might be able to find instructions on that math program's website.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM

If it is Everyday Math, this website has good information for 3rd grade parents:

http://everydaymath.uchicago.edu/parents/3rd-grade/em-at-home/

ACsMommie
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 10:29 PM

I'm sure it's 7x9, right?

They're exploring the way that multiplication facts are related... the sense-making behind the distributive property which they'll see down the road... 3(2x +5y)= 6x +15y... They're supposed to understand that you can reason the facts you don't know using a combination of facts you do know.

That being said, it shouldn't be up to you to teach your son any content in the evenings.  The only reason I immediately know the answer is that I'm a middle school math teacher, and spend a lot of time thinking about that kind of content.  The homework should match what he's done in class, and he shouldn't need you to do anything but look over his shoulder and check for errors.  If he doesn't know what the problem is about, I'd be concerned that the homework isn't well aligned to the class work.

kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:09 PM

I think the answer is 7x9...that is what I figured anyway and we worked out. I have not got the paper back yet to know if I was right or not lol

Quoting mommy06and09:

was the answer 9x2 and 9x5? if not im in trouble... the only other thing i can come up with is 9x7... hmmm maybe i should pull ds out now while i still understand his homework. lol. jk!

Quoting kcgroves:

Quoting mommy06and09:

by the way what was the math problem you were stuck on? im generally good at math. lets see if im ready to help a 3rd grader.

Ok, one of the problems I can't remember so that sucks the other one though I took a pic of it so I could send it to my sister who home schools for help. Here it is...what multiplication fact can you figure by using the array of 2x9 and 5x9?

kcgroves
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 11:11 PM

I didn't take it as snarky/snotty I really did mean it must be nice to be a teacher and able to know exactly what is being taught.

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I really honestly didn't mean that in a snarky/snotty way! Up until fifth grade, I'm probably gold - anywhere past that I'll probably be in trouble. I'll check back in with you in a few years! 

Heartlight617
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I got my daughter through parochial school 7th grade-no problem. Then....my son went to public school and had "Everyday Math." What a nightmare. I could barely get him through first grade, and since he has a learning disability involving reading he was unable to comprehend the problems as they all involved reading/word problems. I thought they were ending that math avenue? What plan does your school use? See if they have after school homework club where you are!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN