Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Honestly my son is in 3rd grade I am pretty sure when it takes my husband and I an hour or more to figure out one math problem something is wrong!! Am I the only person who has trouble helping their kids with homework?

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (31-40):
Kcdavis11
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Their work is definitely harder than I remember mine being at this age but my huge homework concern is that there is way too much of it. I mean they are at school all day and then they come home and have an hour or 2 of homework. It is ridiculous. I would like to homeschool so they can have a life but my husband is against it. I just think I can teach them everything they need to know at home in half the time. 

kcgroves
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I think we are going to give homeschooling a try next year. I wanted to do it this year, but my husband said I should wait maybe they would have a better year this year. My son struggles with comprehension and doesn't always fully understand what is going on. So his teacher has to explain things to me in order for me to explain it to him in a way he can understand it. Not that he is stupid or anything he just has a different way of learning and teacher insist on only teaching one way. So I am already kinda homeschooling him since I am the one at home spending hours actually making him understand.

Quoting Kcdavis11:

Their work is definitely harder than I remember mine being at this age but my huge homework concern is that there is way too much of it. I mean they are at school all day and then they come home and have an hour or 2 of homework. It is ridiculous. I would like to homeschool so they can have a life but my husband is against it. I just think I can teach them everything they need to know at home in half the time. 

AliKatAK47
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM

SO does all math related things. He doesn't have any problems with it but then again he works in a math based profession.  I haven't had any issues when helping them.. yet. But they are in the 2nd and 4th grade. I am waiting on their MS and HS homework to make my head spin.

Mommy2_two
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:36 PM

My DH takes all math questions. He was not very good at math, but he can look it up and then explain it to DD. Usually the way the teacher explains it to her doesn't make sense to her. So Dh can explain it to her in different ways until it clicks for her. Last year the teacher had so many students that didn't understand the math that she set up an after school study to group to help them.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:42 PM

Quoting kcgroves:

Quoting mommy06and09:

by the way what was the math problem you were stuck on? im generally good at math. lets see if im ready to help a 3rd grader.

Ok, one of the problems I can't remember so that sucks the other one though I took a pic of it so I could send it to my sister who home schools for help. Here it is...what multiplication fact can you figure by using the array of 2x9 and 5x9?

My guess would be 7 x 9?

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 5:48 PM

We don't help our kids with homework, we are not the ones being graded, so we don't figure out their problems. Our policy is there is nothing in their homework that wasn't taught in class, as long as they are paying attention and taking notes, they can do it, and if they are and still just don't get it, then they should ask the teacher for extra help. If they get something wrong, they get it wrong, I'm not going to be there when they are taking tests to tell them how to do it. They need to learn from their mistakes and learn to do it on their own. If they want help getting something for a project or advice on how to research something, I'm more than happy to help. But, if they don't know something, I'm not going to tell them how to do it so they can get a better grade, the whole point of homework is to practice and to show the teacher how much the student knows. 

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:50 PM

Okay, whew! I was worried I might have come across that way (clearly). It's wonderful right now - I really am worried about when he hits the upper grades, though.

Quoting kcgroves:

I didn't take it as snarky/snotty I really did mean it must be nice to be a teacher and able to know exactly what is being taught.

Quoting TroyboysMom:

I really honestly didn't mean that in a snarky/snotty way! Up until fifth grade, I'm probably gold - anywhere past that I'll probably be in trouble. I'll check back in with you in a few years! 

mommyto3121405
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM

i dont have trouble with her homework yet shes only in 1st but theres just so damn much

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jan. 13, 2013 at 9:10 PM

My kids are in 6th, 3rd, and 2nd. So far I can understand the problems, but sometimes they teach it a way that I am not familiar with. My oldest struggles in school and sometimes it takes me awhile to figure out how they are doing the problems.

For example in 4th grade he came home with a laminated paper with a picture of a balance, 2 dice, and some game pawns... then there were equations and the directions said to solve the equations using the dice and pawns... Mmmm, kay!?... lol Fortunately some teacher friends were able to steer me in the right direction!

SueMNanaMama
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Does the school have a recommended website for math?  Our county library even has live homework assistance!  That said, my boy has an IEP, and his homework is tailored to his ability.  Before that, I was enjoying retirement and flunking fourth grade math.  Still, they are doing negative numbers right  now (but not on the homework; it is skills review), and I couldn't comprehend them in 7th grade.  Why they are doing that in FOURTH grade, I have no idea!  I have to have a calculator to do negative numbers!  Which is usually where my checkbook is (I have a slush fund to cover it)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN