Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Honestly my son is in 3rd grade I am pretty sure when it takes my husband and I an hour or more to figure out one math problem something is wrong!! Am I the only person who has trouble helping their kids with homework?

Want to know how I can help you?

save money www.apdentalplans.com/kgroves

make money www.freedomathometeam.com/kgroves

by on Jan. 11, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Replies (41-46):
Babujai
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 12:39 PM

If my son doesn't understand what he's doing and I can't explain it to him I write a note on the homework for the teacher asking that either more information be sent home or that my son receive more help on the subject.  If it happens a lot in the same subject I bring it up at Parent-Teacher Conferences. 

iuangina
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Many of the problems that we as parents have with math have to do with the fact that we were taught the how, but never the why.  Kids today are learning the why which is what makes it so hard for us to understand it.  

What was the problem?  I'm curious.  

jojobean558
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:33 PM
I agree with you. My DD had to show me how they showed her because she said i was doing it wrong lol

Quoting TurboMom81:

The math isn't too hard yet. But the way they teach now is really whack!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ivf_blessed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Agreed! 

I have a hard time helping my DD with her homework because I have a hard time explaining how I come up with an answer that she will understand. 

I would suck at being a teacher. LOL

Quoting TurboMom81:

TurboMom81
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Oh me too! I have no patience for it. Sadly, I took a course back in college on how to teach Elementary Level Math. I can't recall ANY of it. LOL

Quoting ivf_blessed:

Agreed! 

I have a hard time helping my DD with her homework because I have a hard time explaining how I come up with an answer that she will understand. 

I would suck at being a teacher. LOL

Quoting TurboMom81:

TurboMom81
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 10:14 PM
She's doing some weird "doubles and add a one" type of crap. Like 4+4= 8 so 4+5= ?

Quoting jojobean558:

I agree with you. My DD had to show me how they showed her because she said i was doing it wrong lol

Quoting TurboMom81:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)