Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My grandmother, my moms mom, (we all call her Nana) is 70 years old. I think she has been driving since she was 24 (I think). She has never been in one single accident and maybe just a couple of parking tickets but that's it.

My mom went for a drive with Nana, i think a couple of months ago, just to make sure that Nana is still safe with her driving. My mom told me that if she didn't feel safe riding in the car with Nana that she wouldn't let anyone else do it.

I have my oldest son, 7 years old, his name is Alex. I love him, he's my first child so maybe I am a little over protective of him, IDK.

My mom wants Nana to pick my son up this afternoon and I told my mom that I don't feel comfortable allowing Nana to drive with Alex in the car.

I explained to her how she's an older women and her reaction time isn't as quick as it use to be. I told her that I don't feel comfortable with that.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational. I told my mom that I would be more than happy to drop Alex off at her house (I live 6 minutes away from my mom) and she told me that it is a waste of gas and that I don't have to do any unnecessary driving because Nana can come pick Alex up.

I repeated myself and said I don't feel comfortable letting Nana driving while Alex is in the car.

My mom told me that I'm being irrational.

Am I wrong for feeling this way?

Am I really being irrational?

Should I just allow my grandmother to take Alex to my mom's house?

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Is there a reason to think that mentally she is just slow?

My father is 71 and very sharp and drives RVs and Commericial trucks and is no more slow in reaction time than he was if he were 22. My mother on the other hand is 71, and she has always been a crappy driver.... so she lets my dad drive.

My FIL was still driving fine at 85, up to the day before he fell and broke his hip and later died after being diangnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma.

I know a lot of 70 yr olds, and they are stil great drivers..... so maybe you ARE a nervous nellie. I'd trust a 70 yr old before I trust a 21 yr old. The fact she has never had a driving ticket or accident is a good sign she is probably a safe driver.

saltlifemama
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:51 PM

I would ride with her first before I started getting upset about this. My  grandma is in her 70s and drives safer then most 20yr olds. I would let her take my boys.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 1:52 PM
If you are worried then you should ride with her to decide. If you do not have time to do that you have to decide if you trust your mom. The gas line does not really make a difference because she has to use gas and go out of her way?

My personal opinion I would not be concerned... Sounds like it is being checked and many people do not have issues driving till much later.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ruby_jewel_04
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I think you need to ride with her yourself before making that call. I don't let my Grandma take my kids because her driving is terrifying. She'll be 78 in March. I love her to death. But she can't drive, and no matter how many times I show her how to fasten it correctly she NEVER, EVER buckles the car seat correctly. Which is obviously not safe in any way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AliKatAK47
by Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM

My Mama (that's what I call my grandma) and Papa (grandpa) are both 73 and they are the best drivers I know. My kids drive around with them all the time. They are 8 and 9. 

TroyboysMom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Feelings are feelings - I don't think feelings are really ever wrong, but the perception that leads to those feelings may be wrong (if that makes sense.). I am a big proponent of following your gut. If you are not comfortable with this idea, then don't do it. At the end of the day, you're his mother, and you need to be okay with the choices made for your child, not Grandma, not Nana, or anyone else but you. This is a car ride, and it doesn't need to be a big deal, so you can tell your mom she's making a bigger issue out of it than it needs to be. You aren't comfortable with it, so this is what's going to happen.

I don't think belittling someone else's comfort level (by saying that because you aren't comfortable with something, dismissing it by saying you're being irrational) is an okay way to approach anything. Personally, I think you may want to think about why exactly you're feeling uncomfortable (is there something that happened, or is it just a general level of discomfort that you can't explain), to see what's going on with you, but I don't think you need to do that to rationalize Nana driving, though. I think you need to do that to understand where you are coming from for yourself.

kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quoting mjande4:

My question would be the following.  Have YOU ridden in the car with your grandmother in the last month or are you making this judgement solely on her age?

Exactly my same thoughts.

Now what if there was a cousin that was 16 years old. And your mom said they would pick your son up. Would you feel they were too young because of recently getting their license?

janitablue
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM

I agreed once you have driven with Nana you can make a decision stand firm with your conviction.

Quoting wakymom:

I'd say that you should ride w/ your Nana before making that decision.

LanasMommy0504
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I'm fine with my kids still riding with my 81 year old grandmother. They're 6 & 3. She drives very carefully. She also still babysits my cousin's girls when they're out of school as well as a 7 month old baby. All of whom she drives places when needed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
the3Rs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM
Exactly! 70 is not that old!

Quoting steelcrazy:

Wow!  I'm really no help here because my parents and ILs are both in their 70's and I completely trust them driving my kids anywhere.  I wouldn't ever consider them to be "too old to drive".  Sorry.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN