Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kids and bathing ETA

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 9 Replies

For those of you whose kids shower independently how long do they take? What the average amount of time they're in the shower? DD 9 takes an hour from beginning to end - getting ready, showering, putting lotion on, and combing her hair. I'm not sure why she takes so long. She's actually in the shower about 15 minutes. Any used on how to get her to speed things up a little?

ETA: 15 minutes in the shower is normal. The reason I'm asking is because she complains that she doesn't have time to do things she wants to do - while she's doing all this her brother, who has already finished everything, is watching TV and she wants to watch too. I would understand if she's primping or something, but she's really not. She takes a long time to do most things. So we were talking about how she can take a little less time when she showers. She gets everything ready a head of time. 

I also always shower quickly and don't take much time to get ready, so maybe it just seems like a long time too, because I never take that long - with hair and makeup included. 

Thanks for your advice!

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM

15 minutes seems normal to me for her to shower. I'm in there 25 minutes, and I do relax getting myself together. I probably take an hour from start to end myself. :P

If you want her to go quicker, maybe have her lay everything out before she showers. Pjs and lotiong will be ready to go. Get out, dry up, lotion and dress.

agrisham13mom
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:00 PM
My son takes at least 15 minutes in the shower.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

It take me a hour too. I shower and wash my face, put a moisture on my face., lather up with lotion, blah blah.......  I am sorry I can not offer you a solution. If your daughter  is getting ready for school get her up a hour early. It is not easy looking good it takes time.wink

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Perhaps have her do the lotion in her bedroom as well as brushing and getting dressed.   I take about 15-30 minutes for actual bathing and then go to bedroom for the rest of after shower stuff so the bathroom is open for whomever needs it.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:05 PM
My kids each take 15-20 minutes. My daughter usually takes the longest because of long hair and shaving, but they all manage their time well. We do have 3 full bathrooms with showers so there is never a wait.
paganmommy4
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Some girls get to that AGE.. She's transforming from little girl into tween quickly and wants to do the girl thing by primping herself in the bathroom. You can tell her to limit her time to half and hour. Quick shower, Quick lotion and quick comb through.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:36 AM
You just need let her know if it takes her so long she will miss out on something. She has to choose for herself what her priorities are. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Traci_Momof2
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM

My kids aren't quite there yet, doing everything by themself.  I remember though when I was young that it took me a long time to get ready.  It regularly took me an hour to shower, dress, do hair, etc.

As an adult I can do it pretty easy in 1/2 hour and could do it in 15 - 20 minutes if I really needed to.  For me, there wasn't really anything I did to make it faster.  It's just something that naturally happened as I got older.  I think kids tend to move in a slower speed than us adults do.  I think it's something that your dd will just have to grow out of naturally.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I cant shower in less than 20 minutes.. Never have lol.. And I dont use lotion..

If it annoys her, tell her to figure out where she is spending her time & change it... :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)