Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

chores and allowance for a 5 y/o

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
  • 3 Replies

hey! so i was looking for some input/ suggestions.  this kind of popped up cause we are finishing up our last lego set.  ds has been all about these lego sets and has been doing fairly well keeping them together and off the floor.  and to be honest, i've been quite proud of him doing all these and now on his own!!

i am not the "oh lets go buy toys" type.  in fact, ive been kind of against it BUT his bday is in december, so both major gift giving occasions take place in the same month for him.  and now that he's older there are things he really wants. like these sets. so i want him to have the oppertunity to get them AND learn about saving money at the same time.

right now im thinking just a few things... daily: toys out of the livingroom and room clean before bed (everything off floor... toys away, clothes in hamper etc).  then some weekly chores.  right now i have help with laundry haha.  im thinking about adding sweeping the kitchen.  any suggestions?  he has a baby brother or sister on the way so the extra help will be awesome lol, but mostly i want to give him an opportunity to earn money so he can decide how to spend it.

also im thinking like $2 a week.  nothing crazy.  enough that its SOMETHING but that he will still have to save (in the summer he wants ice cream from the ice cream man a lot lol).  some people are anti allowance, but he's always willing to help... shoot he asks to help.  anyone have any positive or negative experiences with this?

thanks!! (and i didnt expect this to be so long lol)

pregnancy due date

by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
janitablue
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Click on Age appropriate Chores I hope this help with your decision

PreggoPebbles
by on Jan. 13, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My 4 and 5 year old now have chores they can do to earn money.  We made them a chore chart, and there is something assigned to each of them for the day.  When they do it, my husband or I mark next to it, and give them their money.  (they each decorated a little jar for their allowance-- they get a dime for each chore-- we also have another jar with random chores written on pieces of paper, and if they want to, they can pick one out of there to do to earn an extra dime that day.)  They really enjoy it.  General picking up their room, putting toys away in the play room, or collecting their dirty clothes for me when I do laundry aren't included in our "chores"-- those are things you do as part of the family, without expectations of reward.  (But if they do something like that without being reminded or anything, they often do get something special-- a special snack or a little extra t.v./game time or something...)
Right now, the chores on their charts are:
-sweeping the kitchen
-dumping the bathroom trash (they just have to dump it into the bigger trash can in the kitchen)
-dumping the computer desk trash 
-dusting the entertainment center and t.v.
-wiping down their table and chairs (we have a little fold out table and chairs for them- normally, I wipe them down after meals, but they each have it on their chart for one day a week) 

RatherBeReading
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
1 mom liked this

My 5 year old does chores and earns $1 a day if she does them. Hers are pretty simple....emptying the trash in the bathrooms, laundry room and living room each day, wiping down the table and counters after meals, helping me with laundry (she loves loading up the washer, and then moving clothes from the washer to the dryer, and folding some things), and checking the mail twice a week for each chore. Then we have a different room assignment each day and she is expected to help with whatever I ask for those cleaning chores.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)