Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does my 7 year old have an attention issue or motivational issue??

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
  • 9 Replies

Hi, Everyone!  I have a 7 year old daughter who is in 1st grade.  She is bright, inquisitive, and learning a lot in school this.year.  She is proficient in reading and doing really well in math.  Here is the issue-she gets distracted at different times during the day-she will play with things on her desk, look around the room, not pay attention to instructions and seems to prefer one on one time with the teacher for learning, but that is not practical in a class of 20+.  I've met with her teacher, reading teacher and principal a few times and just this morning and believe this is not ADD or ADHD.  I think this is more a motivational issue and hope to God I am not raising an underachiever!  I talked to the teachers like I said and will talk to her pediatrician but in the meantime I've set up a chore chart for here at home for both the a.m. before school and p.m. after she gets home.  I asked her teacher if she'd be willing to award her "behavior bucks" which I will keep track of on a chart here at home...her rewards for good behavior both in the classroom and here will be doing special things she likes to do, trips, etc. 

This is partially my fault...I do too many things for her out of love, but it's really not love if I am not teaching her to be more independent and if she is falling short of her potential.  I do not want to be the one to stand in her way by not helping her in the ways I should.  Have any of you experienced this issue and did you have the ability to change the behavior with more consequences/rewards?? 

(As for her fidgety behavior, it's being addressed with a cushion she gets to sit on in class..she has to balance herself on it and it helps with a mental-physical connection.  We've also considered putting velcro under her desk for her to touch and feel so she's not always messing with the pencils on her desk.  Plus she's getting only one pencil now to use, not a bunch of cute colorful ones that she can sharpen & play with while the teacher is talking).  But I did mention to her teachers that if a toy interests her she can concentrate and play for long periods of time and that is true for anything that interests her.  Like she can choose what she wants to pay attention to!!  Any other suggestions/ideas are appreciated!  Thnx!       

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
amberdotsmom
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:09 PM

You said she's inquisitive, proficient in reading, good in math and learning a lot.  Is it possible she's a very bright child and she's bored?  Maybe some of the playing and not paying attention is her way of saying she's already gotten what the teacher's trying to say and she's read to move on?  

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:24 PM
We are having similar issues and it is slowly getting better. We do a stoplight. 2 reds = punishment; 3 greens = reward; any other combination nothing.

But honestly he is bored. I am not letting him slide on that as many times in life we are bored! ;) but I have told him and I see him do better when challenged but only in things he likes. ;)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:51 PM

In addition to what you are already planning to impliment, I suggest having her tested for gifted and talented from the school district and for ADD from the doctor's office. My son has a few friends with ADD and ADHD, and to be honest, they exhibit some of the things you're describing. Just because she isn't hyperactive doesn't mean she isn't ADD. If she's not, I would like to have it ruled out by a professional. If she is, it's a way for her to get better assistance at school for her needs.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I agree that she sounds bored.

Quoting aetrom:

We are having similar issues and it is slowly getting better. We do a stoplight. 2 reds = punishment; 3 greens = reward; any other combination nothing.

But honestly he is bored. I am not letting him slide on that as many times in life we are bored! ;) but I have told him and I see him do better when challenged but only in things he likes. ;)

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Has her teacher done a snap check list for behavior to give to dr to possibly diagnose ADD?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Amanda471
by New Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

Has her teacher done a snap check list for behavior to give to dr to possibly diagnose ADD?

They mentioned that test today!  I'll look into that as well.  Thnx!

somemore83
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd is the same way but she probably has ADD or ADHD I just don't agree with medicating my child.  She does well in school, it's just she seems lazy at times.  She has reading tutors, math tutors, and another tutor at school.  I tried to teach her at home, but I do not have the patience and she is doing much better since she has had tutors at school.  I think the reward system is good if she will do it, my dd just does the same things over and over and over that we tell her not to.  It is draining.  Maybe I expect too much of her.  My dd is 7 and in 2nd grade, will be 8 in may.

coolmommy2x
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 4:53 PM
Velcro under the desk worked well for DS.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM
It's not really a test. The teacher is given a list of behaviors and then determines how frequently the child exhibits them. Every teacher your child has should complete one.

Quoting Amanda471:

Quoting Andrewsmom70:

They mentioned that test today!  I'll look into that as well.  Thnx!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)