Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Behavior change since starting school!

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM
  • 23 Replies

Up until DD started school she was a pretty good child, she never went through any of the dreaded fazes most people warn you about like the "terrible 2s".. But ever since about a month after school started she has done a 180! She is constantly pushing our buttons. Talking back. Getting loud. and started throwing tantrums.... During Winter Break things got better, but just 1wk back into school & I want to cry.

Did anyone elses kid start doing this when they first entered school?... When does it go away?... Any advice? .. She went from being a sweet 5yo to a stinging 16yo!

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

The first thing I would look at is how much sleep she's getting. If she was used to sleeping in later and napping and her bedtime is the same she could be getting significantly less sleep. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Its the influence of kids who's parents don't care enough to make them watch their attitudes and the lack of adequate supervision on playgrounds that allow the smart mouths to pass on these behaviors.

My kids learned so many bad attitudes, terms, and bad subject matter in school. Pulling them to homeschool was the best parenting decision DH and I have made. Not to say there aren't some inappropriate homeschool families but it is much more rare and I have yet to see it within our group.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Tell her things at home have not changed and she still needs to follow the rules.   My guess is that she is well behaved at school all day and when she comes home, she wants to blow off steam which turns into tantrums, being sassy etc.  We do not allow certain words or actions in our house regardless of what she may see at school. She is in 1st grade now and still well behaved at school.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:16 PM

Yes she is well behaved at school.. I feel its her letting off steam but wow! I cant wait until summer! And she better out grow this by next year..

Quoting frndlyfn:

Tell her things at home have not changed and she still needs to follow the rules.   My guess is that she is well behaved at school all day and when she comes home, she wants to blow off steam which turns into tantrums, being sassy etc.  We do not allow certain words or actions in our house regardless of what she may see at school. She is in 1st grade now and still well behaved at school.

frndlyfn
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

Does she have homework for her grade?  Maybe giving her 30 minutes after school to sit in her room and unwind may help cut down the amount of poor choices at home.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Yes she is well behaved at school.. I feel its her letting off steam but wow! I cant wait until summer! And she better out grow this by next year..

Quoting frndlyfn:

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:21 PM

It's probably a combination of letting off steam and things she has picked up at school. Stay consistent w/ the discipline and make sure she's getting enough sleep.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Homeschooling in the future is always possible.. We thought about it, but it really scares me & I had a baby in May, so I knew newborn + kinder wasnt going to work well.. My DD is very social & having kids around to learn with is really good for her. I am very shy, so joining co-ops would be very diffiult for me.

We did try doing PreK-K stuff at home. I was never disciplined enough to do it daily & keep the pace moving steadily. It also seems things I tried teaching her at home are going very smoothly at school. She is in the GATE program which I hope she stays in & then can move into PreAP & graduate high (top 10) in her class..

My BFF Homeschools & is doing an amazing job..

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Its the influence of kids who's parents don't care enough to make them watch their attitudes and the lack of adequate supervision on playgrounds that allow the smart mouths to pass on these behaviors.

My kids learned so many bad attitudes, terms, and bad subject matter in school. Pulling them to homeschool was the best parenting decision DH and I have made. Not to say there aren't some inappropriate homeschool families but it is much more rare and I have yet to see it within our group.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:36 PM

She has not napped since about 4-4.5yo & we chaged her bed time to earlier a few weeks before school started but I do think her attitude could be linked with her brain being tired - not lfrom ack of sleep, just not use to such active "go-go-go" learning.. Hope that makes sense.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

The first thing I would look at is how much sleep she's getting. If she was used to sleeping in later and napping and her bedtime is the same she could be getting significantly less sleep. 

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM

yes, she does.. a quick worksheet, & 3-4x a week she brings home a lvled reader.. So we spend about 15min on homework.. We do that as soon as she gets home.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Does she have homework for her grade?  Maybe giving her 30 minutes after school to sit in her room and unwind may help cut down the amount of poor choices at home.

Quoting MommaTasha1003:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Peachy34500
by Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
My DD is the same way and its driving me crazy the way she acts! She has such an attitude! I just keep up with the discipline and hopefully it gets thru to her!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)