Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Report Cards & Rewards? Edit/Update!

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 105 Replies

My parents always treated me to pizza or ice cream whenver I got a good report card, and the school always gave out prizes as well (pizza hut coupons, etc). 

I want to think of something creative for DD, who is in Kindergarten, because she has had two perfect report cards with all  'over exceeds expectations", since pizza isn't really a treat (yeah not that healthy but she gets it at lunch at school once a week and we have it twice a month at home),. I thought about going to the Frozen Yogurt place, but it's expensive.

Do you give your kids something for a good report card?

Edit:

A lot of you are saying that you don't reward for something that's expected, and I can agree with that. I don't want to go over the top but I think a little something isn't going to hurt them.  We just got back from DD2's teacher conference and she had a great report too. It's been raining for six days straight here, so they haven't been outside in almost a week. After school today. we're going to go to Chick Fil A and get ice cream and let them play on the play ground.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
natesmom1228
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

No good grades are expected. I do not reward for a good report card.

HotMommaStout
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Sometimes. We told them, you might get something for good grades and you might not, but you for sure won't get a reward if you don't try your hardest.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this

We expect good grades as well but she goes to a difficult school, and they push her a lot. She struggled the first two months, but with encouragement she's gotten the hang of it and has become a top student in her class and grade. It's only Kindergarten but they're doing second grade work. 

Kids work hard, and learning is sometimes difficult and exhausting. I think a small treat like ice cream wouldnt be a bad thing. Everyone needs some motivation.

Quoting natesmom1228:

No good grades are expected. I do not reward for a good report card.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Right...we didn't do anything for her frist one, although if I had to redo it, I'd of done something for the first one, and nothing for this one. 

Quoting HotMommaStout:

Sometimes. We told them, you might get something for good grades and you might not, but you for sure won't get a reward if you don't try your hardest.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Back when we gave the kids allowences, they got an extra dollar when they got A's/Outstandings.

Now, we don't really do anything except lots of praise. If we do something, it's usually going out to dinner.

mom2maryjoseph
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I keep a small thing with prizes in it. If they have all A/S for the entire year they get a bigger prize at the very end.  My DD got all S's for the first half and got a couple of bottles of nail polish and my DS just got his second report this year and all A's again.  He is getting a model we picked up for $2 a couple of years ago.  The during the year reports are all $5 or less. 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:49 AM
I might make their favorite dinner or go out for frozen yogurt or if we're out and they ask for something small, I might say yes. My parents always do something for them which is funny because I really don't remember being rewarded for them when I was younger.

I think hard work should be rewarded (in any way the parents think is appropriate).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 11:57 AM

We took dd out to her fav restaurant for her first one but that was because she went from homeschooling into regular ( well brick and mortar at a gifted charter) school and it was her first ever report card. If she brings up her scores in a couple of areas on the next one, we may do the same.

We are working to have her tested for a grade skip ATM though so it may effect her scores if they get it done for this year. It may end up being a skip done where she finishes out first this year, skips second and goes to third next year. It depends on the committee and the head of school and how she does on her test tomorrow. 

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My daughter has earned a TV in her room for her straight As. She is aware that if her grades slip, she will lose the TV in her room. We also praise her and tell her how proud we are.

Our son does not get letter grades yet but he is also praised for a job well done. 

We do expect good grades. However, I do believe getting straight As should be rewarded. She works really hard to achieve that. Anything under a B will not be tolerated.

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

My daughter is in 5th grade and our son in 3rd. He will have the opportunity next year to earn a TV in his room with straight As as well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN