Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Report Cards & Rewards? Edit/Update!

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents always treated me to pizza or ice cream whenver I got a good report card, and the school always gave out prizes as well (pizza hut coupons, etc). 

I want to think of something creative for DD, who is in Kindergarten, because she has had two perfect report cards with all  'over exceeds expectations", since pizza isn't really a treat (yeah not that healthy but she gets it at lunch at school once a week and we have it twice a month at home),. I thought about going to the Frozen Yogurt place, but it's expensive.

Do you give your kids something for a good report card?

Edit:

A lot of you are saying that you don't reward for something that's expected, and I can agree with that. I don't want to go over the top but I think a little something isn't going to hurt them.  We just got back from DD2's teacher conference and she had a great report too. It's been raining for six days straight here, so they haven't been outside in almost a week. After school today. we're going to go to Chick Fil A and get ice cream and let them play on the play ground.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Replies (11-20):
KayDziedzic
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't reward for good report cards- we expect Good-Great grades, like PP said.

For a reward for your DD, how about letting her pick her favorite home-made meal?

And/or an at-home ice cream buffet. Set out small dishes filled with different toppings, ranging from simple (sprinkles) to slightly extravagant (toffee bits) to silly (gummi worms, or broccoli florets if you really want to be goofy). Get cartons of two of her favorite ice cream flavors and give her a scoop of each for her to top.

1L2CMommy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this
I never payed for grades. When DD was growing up, every reputable child psychologist was saying not to. So instead I praised her loud and often. I made a big deal whenever she brought home a good grade or a good report card. I made sure she heard me telling people about it and how proud I was of her. Also I would sometimes allow an extra privledge because she proved she could handle it by being responsible with her grades. Maybe for kindergarten she gets to pick out her own clothes, or stay up an extra 15 minutes. But I always reinforced that she got to do it because her grades were so good.
As she got older I did the same thing, but she also understood that good grades were expected. Another thing I did was never feed into the I hate school attitude. I always always talked about how much she loved school.
My DD was an honor roll student all through high school, and just made the Deans List her first semester away at college.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't reward the grades, but we do celebrate accomplishments and efforts.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM

We don't reward for each report card.  At the end of the year we will go out to celebrate them being promoted to the next grade level.  In the past we've gone to Build-a-Bear, bounce house place, arcade, mini golfing, etc and then gone out to dinner afterwards.  I let my boys choose where we go for reward and dinner.

zinniadaisy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
1 mom liked this

We kept it simple with a trip to the ice cream place.  She gets another one this week and the reward will most likely be similar.

Christine0813
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM

When my children attended a school, I did not reward them for what they should have been doing in the first place.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 4:58 PM

I like this idea. Last year DD1 had pre-k graduation, and she thought it was the biggest deal in the world. Everyone came, even her Grandpa came from another state. We all went to dinner afterward, and spoiled her rotten just because she was so cute. DD2 has the same thing this year, not sure what DD2's school will do for Kinder.

Quoting steelcrazy:

We don't reward for each report card.  At the end of the year we will go out to celebrate them being promoted to the next grade level.  In the past we've gone to Build-a-Bear, bounce house place, arcade, mini golfing, etc and then gone out to dinner afterwards.  I let my boys choose where we go for reward and dinner.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM

We expect them as well and she knows it, but she's worked very hard and has built herself up from when she first started. I think they work her grade too hard, imo. They're still babies.

I like the at-home ice cream buffet.

Quoting KayDziedzic:

We don't reward for good report cards- we expect Good-Great grades, like PP said.

For a reward for your DD, how about letting her pick her favorite home-made meal?

And/or an at-home ice cream buffet. Set out small dishes filled with different toppings, ranging from simple (sprinkles) to slightly extravagant (toffee bits) to silly (gummi worms, or broccoli florets if you really want to be goofy). Get cartons of two of her favorite ice cream flavors and give her a scoop of each for her to top.

steelcage
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I agree. Some kids don't work hard, or it's a struggle for them to work hard and keep grades up, especially when they're older.

I had a learning disablitiy, and struggled all through elementary school but I worked my ass off when I hit middle school and got straight A's all the way until  HS graduation. Unfortunately I have't attended college, yet, but I hope to..I'm just scared.

My daughter is smart, her teachers actually suggested moving her up but I don't think that would work for her, maybe a few years down the road. She still works hard.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I might make their favorite dinner or go out for frozen yogurt or if we're out and they ask for something small, I might say yes. My parents always do something for them which is funny because I really don't remember being rewarded for them when I was younger.

I think hard work should be rewarded (in any way the parents think is appropriate).

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:10 PM
2 moms liked this

I think a treat out is a good encouragement for working her best at school.  Do not some jobs give out bonuses to their employees?  DD usually will get to pick out a dvd to buy or a toy.  For any area she isnt doing well in, we add more at home paperwork to get her up to speed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)