Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Report Cards & Rewards? Edit/Update!

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents always treated me to pizza or ice cream whenver I got a good report card, and the school always gave out prizes as well (pizza hut coupons, etc). 

I want to think of something creative for DD, who is in Kindergarten, because she has had two perfect report cards with all  'over exceeds expectations", since pizza isn't really a treat (yeah not that healthy but she gets it at lunch at school once a week and we have it twice a month at home),. I thought about going to the Frozen Yogurt place, but it's expensive.

Do you give your kids something for a good report card?

Edit:

A lot of you are saying that you don't reward for something that's expected, and I can agree with that. I don't want to go over the top but I think a little something isn't going to hurt them.  We just got back from DD2's teacher conference and she had a great report too. It's been raining for six days straight here, so they haven't been outside in almost a week. After school today. we're going to go to Chick Fil A and get ice cream and let them play on the play ground.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Replies (21-30):
kmrtigger
by Kandice on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Good grades are expected. Getting a good education is their job. Payment is the graded papers and excellent report cards.

I let them know how great they are by doing such a wonderful job at school. I do not reward them with anything for doing so. They do earn extra privileges.

But each parent is different. And if this is something you feel like should be done, then by all means go for it.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 5:26 PM

No reward for every report card. Good Grades are expected.. Now if I KNOW she is struggling with something & she does a good job- then we may celebrate that with doing something.

Myself growing up-I never got rewarded, just a quick "good job!" & I never got in trouble for my grades- I brought home a failing grade & had to retake a whole semester in highschool. My mom said "it happens".  But I always felt making the best grade possible was my job. Could I have pushed myself harder, yup.. But in the end I made out pretty good in HS. Id say a B+ average.

Just like homework- After about k-1st grade.. My parents never ask me if I had anything to do. That was my job to remember -- And I did! School was MY Job!

pt33333
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I let them pick their favorite dinner and dessert when they bring home a good report card.  I don't give them monetary or gift rewards.  It's just not in my budget right now since they have so far done very good.  Also, good grades are expected and they know the good grades benefit them for their future, so their not doing it just to get something material in return from me.

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

In elementary, satisfactory is expected in effort; I give a couple dollars for outstanding.  In high school, B's are expected; I give cash for A's. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:54 AM

No rewards just praise

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:19 AM

We give our kids praise, the knowledge that their parents are proud of them, and they are proud of themselves. Sometimes we'll have something that we know they all really like for dinner. We don't give material rewards for good grades. They all are very bright children, in the advanced groups in their school, getting all A's, my 13 year old sister (three of my kids are my siblings whom I am the guardian of) has gone above and beyond the highest level classes that are offered so half of her classes are independent study, my 17 year old brother got almost a perfect score on the SAT's, and my 5 year old son is reading chapter books. I'm not bragging, though I am very proud of them, I am just saying that I know what they are capable of and know they don't need to get something in return for doing well. 

LanasMommy0504
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM
Yes we do. DD is in 1st grade so she doesn't get letter grades yet. If she gets all 3's or higher than she gets a reward. She's received academic honors both grading periods so far. For this last report card I took her to get an icee after school and we got pizza for dinner. My parents gave her a CD player boombox that my mom found on clearance for $9. Lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
janitablue
by Janita on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Same but I reward for good behavior.

Quoting natesmom1228:

No good grades are expected. I do not reward for a good report card.

You can create a coupon for example one coupon to do anything she wants to do day, or to pick out her favorite movie,colorbook or book..............

natesmom1228
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting janitablue:

Same but I reward for good behavior.

Quoting natesmom1228:

No good grades are expected. I do not reward for a good report card.

You can create a coupon for example one coupon to do anything she wants to do day, or to pick out her favorite movie,colorbook or book..............

I give him verbal praise. I don't feel gifts are a good motivation to get things done.

corrinacs
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Well, yes :).  I thoguht about it hard and was wondering if I should give treats for good report cards, or is that setting a bad example?  I don't want him to get good grades so he can have X.  I want him to get good grades because he knwos that's best.

That being said, right now he's doign ok.  He's got S's all the way down with the exception of listening and organization.  I talked to her about his listening and it seems like he's getting in trouble for very minor infractions.  She says he's a good kid overall, and he's definitely learning what he's supposed to be learning.  She said that once he was coloring and she asked the kids to line up......he wasnt' paying attenition and continued coloring.  He does this from tiem to time.........

But, it was still on his report card.  I did tell him that if his listening mark on his report card improved, then he would have a playdate with his best freind....complete with pizza, a treat of his choice, and a sleepover (if his mom approves).  So, we will see.  I think he's gotten more "green" days and even got a few "purple" days (which is GREAT JOB, above and beyond).  He's NEVER gotten that before.  So we will see.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)