Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Report Cards & Rewards? Edit/Update!

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents always treated me to pizza or ice cream whenver I got a good report card, and the school always gave out prizes as well (pizza hut coupons, etc). 

I want to think of something creative for DD, who is in Kindergarten, because she has had two perfect report cards with all  'over exceeds expectations", since pizza isn't really a treat (yeah not that healthy but she gets it at lunch at school once a week and we have it twice a month at home),. I thought about going to the Frozen Yogurt place, but it's expensive.

Do you give your kids something for a good report card?

Edit:

A lot of you are saying that you don't reward for something that's expected, and I can agree with that. I don't want to go over the top but I think a little something isn't going to hurt them.  We just got back from DD2's teacher conference and she had a great report too. It's been raining for six days straight here, so they haven't been outside in almost a week. After school today. we're going to go to Chick Fil A and get ice cream and let them play on the play ground.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Replies (31-40):
jazzgirl205
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM
2 moms liked this

We used to buy dd a case of Fresca for all A's.  This year, we moved from a trendy, high income small town to the mtns of Appalachia.  DD didn't complain about leaving her friends or moving to a smaller house.  Instead, she wants to make the highest grades in Highschool and make lots of friends.  She's accomplished both of those which make us proud especially since the teachers here are way more demanding.  She scored the highest in her class in physics.  We bought her a huge 76key keyboard from Craigslist that can do and hook up to anything.  She was missing  her piano.  We reward good grades and good attitude.  So will employers and clients throughout her life.

aj_mom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:48 PM

MONEY

M4LG5
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Same.

Quoting Roo1234:

We don't reward the grades, but we do celebrate accomplishments and efforts.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jalestra
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 4:47 PM

We don't do rewards really. Not in general. But if they had a low grade and they've worked real hard to bring it up we have a kind of "work hard" reward. It's always something small, to encourage the behavior and to acknowledge their efforts. It's never anything big. Sometimes if they show consistent good behavior or grades they earn a privilege or something, but it's clear that this privileged is influenced by past behavior and can and will be removed if the past behavior/grades aren't maintained.

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Jan. 16, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Same here.

Quoting natesmom1228:

No good grades are expected. I do not reward for a good report card.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
littleangie
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Good grades usually equates good jobs.  Good jobs equates good money.  Why not let them have a little taste of it by rewarding their hard work?

Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:42 PM

My son gets a reward at the end of the year, If he's gotten Good grades all year, and glowing reports from the teacher. Has also had a good attitude and just the perfect student that teachers love we get him something pretty big. Like a new video game or 2.

Yeah I expect him to well, and am displeased if he brings home a test that wasn't done well, but I also reward him for doing so well. The whole family actually praises him when he does that well. My cousin took him out for icecream and grandma and grandpa got him a card, my mom took him to the zoo.

He's in 2nd grade now, and so far he loves school, and continues to do really well. (3rd grade readoing level, high 2nd grade math)  He's 3 for 3 with his teachers saying he is there favorite boy ever. He's so sweet. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy that my sons teachers love him so much.

hopealways4019
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM
I give my kids money
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
smushy79
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM

Usually, yes. I let them pick out a toy. This time I didnt because they just got their report cards and Xmas was a couple of weeks ago. So...I got them an ice cream treat.

Pnukey
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yes. They get to pick a place to go out to eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)