Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Report Cards & Rewards? Edit/Update!

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents always treated me to pizza or ice cream whenver I got a good report card, and the school always gave out prizes as well (pizza hut coupons, etc). 

I want to think of something creative for DD, who is in Kindergarten, because she has had two perfect report cards with all  'over exceeds expectations", since pizza isn't really a treat (yeah not that healthy but she gets it at lunch at school once a week and we have it twice a month at home),. I thought about going to the Frozen Yogurt place, but it's expensive.

Do you give your kids something for a good report card?

Edit:

A lot of you are saying that you don't reward for something that's expected, and I can agree with that. I don't want to go over the top but I think a little something isn't going to hurt them.  We just got back from DD2's teacher conference and she had a great report too. It's been raining for six days straight here, so they haven't been outside in almost a week. After school today. we're going to go to Chick Fil A and get ice cream and let them play on the play ground.

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Replies (41-50):
andreasmom02
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM

Yes, we take our daughter out to dinner @ her favorite restaurant & to a movie! She is in 5th grade, & has made straight A's since 1st grade. She has only had one B in that time. So proud of her. She is also in "Gifted & talented classes". We try to reward her so she keeps up the good work!

cjsbmom
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Yes, we do. It's usually a treat, either eating out at his favorite place, or going for ice cream, etc. We let him choose his reward (within reason).

Does anyone remember when McDonald's used to give you a free kids' meal if you had all As on your report card? Do they still do that? I used to love that when I was a kid.

mypbandj
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM

nope

nurbabe82
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM

We do. When I was in grade school my parents would take me out to pick out some kind of treat for a good report card. It stopped in middle school. And we do something similar for ds.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:52 AM
It depends.... this report card snuck up on me. She got an awesome report card so we owe her one. Last quarter i think we went for frozen yogurt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mitchiesgirl
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM
In my house, good grades are expected. We reward good behavior.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
nzumbrun
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:57 AM

When one of our kids gets a good report card we let them stay home one day from school. Just the one kid and mom and dad. We always go do something with them. They never stay home because they are never sick and I always make sure that there is no tests or anything. Too my kids time with mom and dad are what they look forward to the most.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Nope we don't reward them for doing what they are supposed to be doing in the first place.

BlessedMommyNE
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

We have one in school and he's in 2nd grade.  I would like to reward him per A he gets but my husband thinks he should only be rewarded if he gets straight A's.  He's always had straight A's on his report cards and we let him pick something out in the $10-$20 range. 

MamaDearie
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:41 AM

I really just give a hug and let him know I'm proud of him. I might make his favorite meal for dinner that night. That's about it. He has always done exceptionally well (his gpa this past report card was a 99 and he was on honor roll and the principal's list). In fact- report cards are just becoming another reinforcement that he wants to homeschool because school is just not challenging him.

"Of all the rights of women, the greatest is to be a mother." (Lin Yutang)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Valentines tickers

Daisypath Easter gifts tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)