Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I love my 7 year old son. He's a happy boy but he's also clingy.

I don't like that. I want to teach my son to be independent and not so clingy. Only because I don't want him growing up to be like me, I'm very clingy and that use to cause problems for the guys who I was with. I like that he wants to hug and kiss me alot. I don't see anything wrong with that, but it just seems like he has to be up my butt alot of the times.

I just want to try to find a happy medium. I want to teach him that it's ok to be affectionate without smothering a person.

I don't want him to have difficulty in a relationship when he grows up because he is clingy.

Is this wrong of me to feel this way?

How can I teach him to not be so clingy?

I also want to teach him that it's ok to be alone. I know adults who don't like being alone and I don't think that it's healthy.

Am I wrong?

Like he doesn't like to watch tv alone (not something that he does all of the time either) I try to even it so that he has some alone time but I also make sure that he gets quality time with me.

Which is sometimes hard because of his baby brother who I have to take care of alot. And my son's schedule, he goes to school, then cub scouts on tuesdays and gymnastics on wednesdays and then bowling on saturdays.

I use to take him until I had my younger son, now I don't because I am taking care of my younger son.

I just want to teach him that it's ok to be alone because I don't want him having problems in his adult life.

I look at it as tough love. Isn't that my job to teach him that?

Just want to know if this is wrong of me to feel this way or it's ok to feel this way.

And to get advice to teach him how to be affectionate without smothering a person.

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Replies (21-25):
TiredMommy6906
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't worry about being him being clingy, if he has a new sibling. It is natural for kids to become very clingy when they have transitions in their life, especially new siblings. With that, I would also say that if you are concerned, I would take him to a counselor. Discuss with the counselor how you feel and see what the counselor says. I would not be too concerned at only 7, though.

With that said, try to make some time just for him. Such as a date night just for the two of you. Encourage him to play on his own. Help him initially, then walk away to go to the bathroom for a few minutes. Make the time a little bit longer each time. Take it in slow steps though.

I wouldn't worry too much about giving him tough love yet. Wait to see if he outgrows it and its just a phase. If he doesn't, seek professional help.

little.worthen
by Tess on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:04 AM
1 mom liked this
I wish my son was more clingy )=

You're lucky
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jan. 16, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree w the commenters saying that he needs to have his cup filled completely before he'll become independent. I think you teach someone to be independent by giving them all the love they need. Once they trust that you will always be there for them, they will be independent.

any idea why you became clingy? Was your mom free w her love toward you?

Why aren't you comfortable nursing in public? Can you get a cover & practice using it at home? Your baby is pretty easy to take places now. Take advantage of that while you can.

check out this website about Love Languages. Some people need affection, perhaps your son is one. http://www.5lovelanguages.com/profile/

vinalex0581
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 8:50 AM

BUMP!

womanwifemomof3
by Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM

You said your mom taught him to be clingy but I can't see how that can be taught. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)