Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Fun learning activities while traveling?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM
  • 16 Replies
We're taking our 8 year old (2nd grade) out of school for three extra days around April vacation, which was approved by her teacher, but I want to have her do something educational at some point, since she'll be missing class time. We're taking the Amtrak from Boston to Florida and back, with a cruise in between.... any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 10:36 PM
Her teacher will probably give her some work to do but you can have her keep a travel journal, do your own Flat Stanley (or make a flat DD), buy a bunch of postcards in FL and on ship and have her write them out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RMT1995
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Nope, her teacher said to enjoy our vacation and not to worry about it...

I like the idea of a journal though!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Not sure about train trips...when we do car trips I bring a blank USA map and we watch for out of state license plates and then find them on the map and color them.

If you have a tablet or laptop, maybe have her look up state facts of each state you go through on the train and include them on a map or journal. You could have her plot the train's route on a map and then find the distance traveled to work on geography/map skills.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BKozICan
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Show her a train schedule and explain how to read it. 

Using a map, document the stations your train stops.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Flat Stanley project would be really good. She can take pictures of Flat Stanley in different parts of the country, and at different landmarks. She can also bring along an atlas and use a arrow post it to track her trip, and learn the different states, capital etc along the way. Then when you return you can upload all the pictures to a shutterfly account and have her learn to design a book (computer skills). Or use word to write a story about the trip and things in the pictures.

possibilities are endless!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM

With a map you can also create a worksheet and have her use a ruler to measure distance and practice map skills.

My kids like looking at the atlas the best and tracking the trip on it. Telling us what cities are coming up next.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jan. 16, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I went with my mom on our last vacation.

My mom bought my son a journal, and then she gave him a couple dollars if he did a journal entry at the end of the day. It was a great way to encourage him to write, and it provided him with some extra spending money.

janitablue
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

or a travel scrapbook for kids . Click on scrapbook

Click on Mad libs on the Road

Click on books

Quoting RMT1995:

Nope, her teacher said to enjoy our vacation and not to worry about it...

I like the idea of a journal though!

RMT1995
by Member on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I really like the idea of having her do a journal/scrapbook project ... it's something fun, makes a great keepsake, but something to keep her writing and learning too. And to tie it in with earning some money is a good idea - there's a candy store on board, in addition to the regular gift shop, so I that'll be incentive right there.

Thanks everyone :)

CrazedMomof2
by on Jan. 16, 2013 at 2:35 PM

We have the kdis bring the books they are reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)